PDA

View Full Version : Iframe SSI script not working

khalsted
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I need some help with this resize script.

The site is: www.xandrascakes.com and I have a table, with an iframe in it, so that I can resize the cake to the contents of the current page I want displayed. This was working at one time, but time to time, it quits working and I get a 'permission denied' error on the script.

I am a web design NEWBIE and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm designing this page for 'xandra' for free, and I may have to give up my idea of this resizing cake based on content, but I thought it would be really cool.

Can anyone tell me another way to do this or give me some ideas on why this will work one time and not the next? It also has never worked in Netscape 8 or Mozilla Firefox that I've tested. From what I can tell about the SSI script, it should work with both mozilla and ns. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

I need something that is "sure fire" that will always work.

Is this Iframe SSI script supposed to work in this way? Maybe I'm missing something. Yeah, a brain I know, but that's a given.

I can post any code or whatever you guys need.

Thanks a lot,

Ken
(edit, I just tried the link from my own message and all of a sudden it's working and I've changed nothing, so I'm not sure what you guys will see when you click on it, but if you click on a menu item, it should resize the cake to be taller and everything should fit within it. again, sometimes this works, other times it does not. maybe it's my pc is screwed up or something)

jscheuer1
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Changing nothing is harder than you might think and yes, just now your page worked well in FF1.5.0. With this recent upgrade to FF1.5.0 the folks at FF took care of a number of bugs. I'm not sure which but, in general it has been quite a few. Also, with any browser you will get the security violation if the browser thinks that the new page is from a different domain. This can happen even when the page is from the same domain if the DNS of the top page is reported differently than the that of the page loaded into the iframe but, it will never work if the page is truly from another domain.

I say changing nothing is harder than you might think because upgrading a browser, or changing your site's settings can affect how this script will work. Also, one may make a change to one's code without realizing it. Incidentally, the script will not work in Opera, it wasn't designed to. I've made a version (click to see) (http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/iframe_ssi_III_demo.htm) that will but, my version will not validate - a minor consideration to some, a major one to others.

khalsted
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I remember reading you telling someone else that every page loaded must be from the same domain. This is ALWAYS the case with my stuff. It seems you are saying that even if that's the case, there could STILL be a problem if the browser thinks it's not? I don't get that, but I may just monitor this for a while and not make any changes and see if it quits working.

Thanks for letting me know it works on FF1.5.0. I just tried mine again after checking the version and found mine is 1.5.0.1. With that, I decided to try my site again, and it WORKED. The only thing I've changed is I added a CSS line of:

html { height: 100%; }
body { height: 100%; }

So now I'm thinking about taking that out and seeing if it stops working in FF. I'm almost afraid to touch anything at this point. I don't know what's going on. This is weird.

I would promise I'm not some sort of idiot or something, but I guess an idiot wouldn't know they were one anyway.

If things keep working like this, I've got no complaints though.

Update: I just tried Netscape 8 and it doesn't work. If IE and firefox work, I may be able to live with that until I find a fix.

Ken

jscheuer1
03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Netscape8 still uses the pre FF1.5.0 Mozilla engine. That engine had problems with this script sometimes, especially in tables (as you mentioned). My version may or may not overcome that and is yet to be tested in the newer FF browser.