PDA

View Full Version : Pausing RSS scroller - 2 things

jaylor
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Pausing RSS scroller
http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

1. It doesn't seem to interpret html codes like ' [& # 39 ;] for a double quote from the RSS feed (specifically, using Google news news.google.com/?output=rss). This makes it look cluttered. Is there an easy fix for this? Also, I can't use descriptions on google news at all because of all the imbedded html. The Ajax scroller supports google news descriptions fine.

2. When I just specify "date" in the last parm position (as opposed to date+description) it just shows a blank object and the script doesn't do anything. I noticed that the variable "feeddate" was missing a 'd' but fixing that didn't help. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
-Jeff

ddadmin
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, that's the problem with RSS feeds- different feeds will incorporate HTML content in slightly different ways, so it's impossible for this script to anticipate all of them. In the case of Google, it looks like they've converted all HTML tags to their entities instead. Due to this, you'll need to know a bit of PHP to undo that first inside "getrssbridge.php". In this case, locate the lines:

$newstring=str_replace(''', '\'', $what); //replace those half valid apostrophe entities with actual apostrophes
$newstring=html_entity_decode($newstring);
return rawurlencode($newstring);

The line in red is new. This should get the Google feed to display correctly, which also takes care of problem 2) above.

jaylor
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
that worked - thank you - it looks much better now!