PDA

View Full Version : Resource Material for Using PHP?

Madridia
03-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I am pretty new to all this, but a fast learner! I was wondering about some good resource/learning material I could use to help me build a large "groups" or forum site. I will need it to accomidate images inserted in posts, multible threads on a board, multible boards in a forum. Also, would LOVE to be able to find out how I could allow user group owners to apply html pages (like MSN groups does) to their forum's or groups. I have the base set up on the site already, but what add ons and modules would be useful now?

Sorry for saying so much at once..lol Just would like to ask some of you seasoned developers if you know where I can find all this information and in a easy to understand form for those of us that aren't as up with the lingo.. :confused: Am I better off just giving up and hiring a developer? Would they be able to create this exactly the way I would like with all the above mentioned bells and whistles including extensive moderation and editing features? Sorry.. too many questions again.. Thank you for any information or pointing in the right direction anyone has! :)

Madridia

Twey
03-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Am I better off just giving up and hiring a developer?Hate to put John out of work, but... never! :p

Basically, I think what you want is a normal PHP tutorial. Nothing overly complicated is involved in what you want. Try http://www.w3schools.com/php/. This tutorial includes basic database operations.

djr33
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
There are free message boards out there. That'll be a ton easier.

coding it yourself would be a pain, but totally awesome in the end.

however, the boards you can get would inevitably have more features... just too had to keep up...

it's a tradeoff.

If you do manage to write your own, though, congrats. That would be really neat.

As Twey said, doesn't sound like anything too complex (heck, I could practically do most of that now, I think... i'm pretty new), but what he didn't mention is how much 'not complex' stuff there would be.

You'd need so much programming, albeit easy, it would take a while.

though.... sounds like I'm trying to discourage you. Please, try, and best of luck.

Madridia
03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Thank you both for replying. I will definately check out that site reference. Now another dumb question here..lol PHP Nuke... this is what my boss has been using on the shell. I know that PHP is scripting and all. I am supposing the PHP NUke is helpful correct?

djr33
03-26-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm know nothing about that, sorry. Just letting you know that I did see this message, so you're not wondering. I'm sure someone else will, though.

Twey
03-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I believe PHPNuke is a content-management system (CMS) designed to make creating and editing pages easier.