PDA

View Full Version : Pausing up-down scroller not showing well in IE

SCJVS1
03-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I was wondering...is there ANY way for me to have the scroller box positioned to where my pictures show up in Both Internet Explorer and FireFox/Mozilla?

It looks just fine in Mozilla/FireFox, but when I go to look at it in IE, you can only see half of the pictures. At least if no one can help me on this subject, could someone recommend where at in the code would I tweak to get it to show my images in both Mozilla and IE?

Thank You, much is appreciated. :)

My website is:
http://www.scjvs.com

It's the box in the center of site scrolling, and has kids in it. :)

jscheuer1
03-23-2006, 01:41 AM
You've got nested centering on the scroller page (fr3.html). This causes, the contents of the scroller to start at the center in IE. If you remove the:

<div align= "center">

. . .

</div>

From around the scroller, it will solve that. There appears to be a script conflict with the top page in IE as well. The scroller works fine in IE on its own page but throws an error here or thereabouts when viewed through the top page:

this.visiblediv.style.width=this.hiddendiv.style.width=this.tickerdiv.offsetWidth-(this.visibledivtop*2)+"px"

Is there any reason why you cannot put the script on the top page?

jscheuer1
03-23-2006, 04:52 AM
I reworked your fr3.html page. I think there may be some problems with it that I didn't catch. If I had, I probably could have gotten by with more of a simplification. I'm suspecting that you made alterations to the basic script that caused problems that I then made further modifications to fix. But, since I don't want to spend that much time on it, figuring out what you might have done, try this out, it works quite well here:

The file inside is called scroller_h.htm, rename it to fr3.html or change the source in the iframe on the top page to reference it.

SCJVS1
03-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much jscheuer1. :) I was wondering, was it the javascript that was making it move around in IE or the css code.

I noticed, but, just to make sure.... I didn't see anything changed in the javascript part, but I've noticed you gave the box an extra width and height, which I didn't know that you could give something two widths and heights :confused: Anyway thank you again for your help, I've been trying for a few months to find something that would scroll images and yet still be link AND work in BOTH Mozilla and IE. And I found it here on dynamic drive. :) I was using the Conveyor Belt slideshow, but had to do away with it because it was twitching in IE6, but doing fine in Mozilla. :) This script is even better thank you again. =)

#pscroller1{
width: 230px!important; <-------------------------
width: 240px;
height: 215px!important; <-------------------------
height: 225px;
border: 4px solid #ced3e6;
padding:10px 10px 0 7px;
background-color: #101069;
text-align:left;
}

jscheuer1
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Well, to avoid an error that was occurring only when the scroller was viewed through the top page, for some reason unknown to me, in IE, I edited the script to delay start of scrolling initialization in IE by 1/2 second. I also removed the centering division but may have later replaced it compensating with a text-align:left in the css compensating for that with centering each individual scrolling item.

It just strikes me now that I could have tested not centering the scroller on its page to see how FF and IE would react to that.

The extra width and height declarations use the !important hack with the !important ones used by FF(and all other browsers) and the others by IE. This is to compensate for the way dimensions that include borders, padding, etc. are rendered differently in the two browsers.