PDA

View Full Version : Need help resizing gif

pixiedust2
03-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Hi :)

I want to make this gif into an avatar 60x60, but when I resize it, it gets stretched and yucky looking. So, I was wondering if there was a way to make the background 60x60 without affecting the picture? I'm not sure that's even possible.

Thanks in advance :D

http://fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/059/5/a/Fairy_Transformation_by_Zikes.gif
This is the gif if anyone's interested

jscheuer1
03-22-2006, 06:07 AM
I think you would need to make a new animation with each frame 60x60. You could then paste each image from your original into a frame of the new animation, tedious but effective.

pixiedust2
03-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Okie dokies. Now, seeing as I did not make this gif, is there a program I could use to separate out the frames? Thanks! :D

Twey
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
In the GIMP, you can open the image, then go to Image->Canvas Size, set the width and height (make sure they're not linked first) then click "Center."

jscheuer1
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Not knowing the gimp (see previous post by Twey in this thread), I cannot vouch for that advice, I am skeptical as animation shop doesn't have that functionality although, its companion program paint shop does. However this technique seems available only for single frame images. So, I suspect that may also be the case in the gimp. If not, the gimp rules there. One problem with centering this image may be that, since the individual images that make it up do not appear to be centered, that could cause problems. To sum up, I'd give the gimp a whirl, especially as it is, I believe, free. Animation shop is another good program. Incidentally, as animation shop is not free, I use an older v3 of it, the later versions may have this canvas size option.

Twey
03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
So, I suspect that may also be the case in the gimp. If not, the gimp rules there.The GIMP treats frames as layers, and sizes the final image to the size of the largest frame (I think), filling the areas around the rest with transparency.

jscheuer1
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
The GIMP treats frames as layers, and sizes the final image to the size of the largest frame (I think), filling the areas around the rest with transparency.

So (optionally) does animation shop but, that is with new animations only. That's why I think a new animation needs to be made. If the GIMP can resize the canvas on an existing animation, centering the old animation in the new canvass, that would be much easier.

Twey
03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Can and has:
http://www.twey.co.uk/images/pixiedust2.gif

pixiedust2
03-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Oooo thanks so much! :D You guys are awesome :) *mwah*

djr33
03-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Sounds like GIMP does what image ready does for photoshop.... ugly application for animation.
But.. it sounds like GIMP does better than IR... 'cause IR is incredibly confusing... it does the layers thing, but I have yet to grasp a basic understanding of how to manipulate things with it....
Then again, I haven't tried that much... But I am an advanced PS user.
Anyway... this is off topic, but at least the questions been answered already.

The easiest way to do this would be to use a couple video programs i can think of, such as Adobe After Effects or QuickTime Pro. Then again, unless you happen to be into video editing like me, you probably don't have those. But they can both export as .gif and you could just place it as a new, centered layer in a 60x60 canvas... then render...
...hypothetically, anyway... you've got what you want.

Twey
03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Overkill :)
Sounds like GIMP does what image ready does for photoshop.... ugly application for animation.It is a tad ugly, but it's very powerful if you know how to use it. And it's certainly not limited to animation.

Twey
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
You wouldn't happen to be affiliated with this VidGIF in any way, would you?
It's closed-source, and useless; there are far better (free and Free) tools to do that job, without VidGIF's limitations.

Twey
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
It's just that your first three posts (of four, at the time of writing) are all telling people how great this "VidGIF" is, and, worse, implying that you're nothing to do with it. I don't think there's a debate to be had, really.

djr33
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Indeed. VidGIF might be cool, but, for the money, you can get something MUCH better. Worthless to pay for, maybe useful for other stuff.
Seems it's already solved anyway.... :)

EDIT:
Ok... wait... I thought this was the thread about video>gif. Now I'm totally confused as to why VidGIF is relevant :p heh.