PDA

View Full Version : Pausing up-down scroller

buckb
03-17-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm trying to display more than [3] items in my array. So long as I only try to display pausecontent[0], [1], and [2] it works fine. When I go to try and add a fourth item, ie pausecontent[3] the script goes blank. Trying to use this for a client who want to display about 20 article headlines.

Is there a variable I'm missing that needs to be set to the number of display items?

url http://lonestarsecuritiesre.com.previewmysite.com

I apologize if this question has been resolved in a previous post. Looked hard but didn't see it.

PS I'll put the dynamic drive link on this page as soon as I get this little problem resolved.

Thanks
Buck

ddadmin
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
The script definitely can support an arbitrary number of array items- I just verified this. The only problem I can think of is that the HTML in your 4th content contains something invalid, causing the script to return an error.

Verify that this is the case by using something very simple as the message content:

pausecontent[3]='Third content here'

buckb
03-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks...I believe I may have created the problem by trying to put a space between each pausecontent[x] to aid in readability. That appears to be the culprit that generated the problem...but I'm not sure of that.

One item that might help non-javascript writers (such as myself) with this script is the need for instructions to kill / delete in the <body> the code for whichever scroller you do not want to show. Kill the <br /> tag as well!

Bottom Line: I'm not positive about what I did to generate the problem in the first place. But she's cooking now.

Thanks
Buck

buckb
03-18-2006, 04:23 PM
OK...I was including articles in the scroller list. One article had they word ...year's.. in it. Obviously the single quote mark is used to indicate the end of a scroller entry. Thus, when I included the single quote mark.. the rest of the entry became garbage. Something for people planning to use this script to watch out for.

Thanks
Buck

Twey
03-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Escape with \. For example,
'
becomes
\'

buckb
03-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks Twey ... That's cool.
Buck