PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Loading of Text/Web page

pchodagiri
03-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to dynamically load text/web content with the change in the current form (even for the session). My goal in this is to take input information form the user and then upon submission have the text/content loaded back on to the page to view. I would like to do this with a Rich Text Form and have the input formatted text to be converted into code in a background process and to be displayed as formatted output on the page. I'm know parts of this question can be done on a server with CGI scripts, but is there a way to do it without them? Or even offline?

I know that the conversion of RTF to code is possible, I saw a DHTML script similar to what I'm typing in right now.

Also, is it possible to have the page load according to what the user inputs? For example: The page calls for a file name, I type "Home," is there a script that will then add ".html" to the input and load the final "Home.html"? I know that my questions are a little ambiguous, if you think you can help me but need clarification, please let me know.

ddadmin
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Well you'll definitely need a server side script to "submit the form", whether store it in a database, email it to yourself etc. Having what's submitted displayed back to the user without refreshing the page can be done using Ajax. One example of all of this is this Ajax contact form (http://www.dustindiaz.com/ajax-contact-form/).

Also, is it possible to have the page load according to what the user inputs?

If that's all you need to do, it's very simple using JavaScript, for example, something like this script (http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/urljump.shtml) can easily be modified to add the desired suffix before navigating to the resulting URL.

pchodagiri
03-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks a lot for your help!

About using this ajax contact form script, can anyone tell me what "simple," free, server side script will I need to create a forum/blog type posting system that can somewhat easily incorporate both of "contact form" and "urljump" scripts?