PDA

View Full Version : Learning PHP - Recommend a book or two?

Shai
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I'd like to learn PHP. I don't have the time or money to enroll in a course, so I'm looking to study up on it on my own time by getting a book or two to teach myself. I know there are many online tutorials and how-to websites, but in general I learn better by having a physical book in my hands.

I've thought about purchasing "PHP For Dummies" but all in all there are so many books out there, so I want to be sure I get a good one that will be worth my time and effort. Any recommendations?

Twey
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
"PHP in easy steps"

Shai
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
That book doesn't appear to be available in my area. I'm not able to order online.

graf
03-13-2006, 06:26 AM
php and mysql for dynamic web sites
by larry ullman.
I love this book its amaising

djr33
03-14-2006, 07:15 AM
I haven't read this one actually, but I have read and loved the others of the series. There are a few versions.. mysql/php/cgi/etc and variations thereof of:
"Sam's Teach Yourself ___ in 24 hours"
Just find one that fits you, exactly... they aren't all 24 hours.. a few really easy ones are '10 minutes', and some harder ones are '21 days'... whatever. I like them a lot. Actually helpful unlike the 'for dummies' etc books that I've grown to hate.

Atolar
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
oh yes djr33! sam's teach yourself php in 10 minutes is what i've got. it's a very very good book. the only setback with it is that it doesn't really elaborate much with mysql, but that's not that important if you're just learning, which you are. it's cheap too (under $15 i think)

Shai
03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Ah! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check those ones out. : )

djr33
03-21-2006, 07:04 AM
As I said above... there are more than just one book from Sam's... there's also mysql and everything else... up to CGI and such.

Twey
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Sam's has a bad reputation in some well-respected camps. I find them quite useful, however (I learnt Java from a Sam's book).

djr33
03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
The books aren't exactly boring, like some people might like. I dunno. I think they're very useful.
I learned to use Adobe Premiere entirely from reading the book and that's that.

It does depend on the author though. I had one (webdesign? programming? something, anyway) and it was dead boring... author who thought she was funny, but was just dead boring... you know the type.

But... at least they're not bad to read. I just read them cover to cover... not as manuals.

So... why does it have such a bad reputation? the lack of seriousness?

Twey
03-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Lack of depth, generally speaking. Varies from author to author, of course.