PDA

View Full Version : Javascript for STRICT (x)html ... how difficult will it be to update DD's scripts?

esteban
03-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not requesting a script -- I was just curious about the prospect of JS + CSS in some scripts at DD. :)

I've been looking at the different doctype declarations (HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML Strict), and I was wondering if it was possible to make the following JS work with an external style sheet:

Script: Highlight Table Cells
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex11/highlighttable.htm

I suspect that it would be a lot of work (a total re-write from scratch -- if it is indeed possible), and that a CSS version would be harder for "newbies" to implement.

Thanks in advance :).

jscheuer1
03-10-2006, 04:18 AM
A css only version is unlikely because the css pseudo class :hover is only available in IE for anchor tags with declared href attributes:

<a href="#"></a>

is sufficient but, not a table element, by a long shot. Any valid anchor tag of this type will be an active link unless modified via javascript, so even though it could otherwise be fudged, javascript would at least be required to prevent page changes and/or reloads.

Validating this script came up before but, you know that esteban, as you were the OP in that thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8020&highlight=Highlight+Table+Cells). Using the same id for multiple elements is a no no when it comes to validation. Class worked and required minimal changes to the code.

When validation is at issue, scripts can be made external or appropriately commented (depending upon the level of validation involved). Any style used can be external as well and as long as it is valid for the DOCTYPE, will present no problem. Stricter DOCTYPEs often require special attention to the case of items in the stylesheet, with lowercase only the general rule of thumb.

esteban
03-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Thank you for your detailed response. I had a sneeking suspicion that what I was asking would be difficult, if not impossible :).

It will be interesting to see how things will evolve over the next 5 years :) (as far as browsers, JS, CSS, and stardards are concerned).

Have a great day!