PDA

View Full Version : A few problems with the Smooth Navigational Menu (v3.02)

aminkorea
08-17-2017, 04:27 AM
1) Script Title: Smooth Navigational Menu (v3.02)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: I cannot seem to get the arrows to show up on the menu. I have installed the menu pretty much as it was when I downloaded the files, with the only change to the arrowimages: in the js file. In the js file, I have arrowimages: {down:['downarrowclass', 'images/down.gif', 23], right:['rightarrowclass', 'right.gif']}, and I placed the down.gif in my images folder, but they are not visible on the webpage.

You can see the page where it is installed at http://www.johnsesl.com/responsive

Any help would be appreciated.

jscheuer1
08-17-2017, 02:23 PM
This menu has been updated many, many times since the version you are using. My first suggestion would be to get rid of it completely, download the new menu and start over.

aminkorea
08-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Where do I download the new menu? I went to bed last night and the menu was working (except for the arrows) and this morning it won't even display on the webpage. I have never had this happen before. I haven't done anything to the code, it just stopped working, it's like there is nothing there.

jscheuer1
08-18-2017, 12:55 AM
The most recent official code is available here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm

BTW - I also noticed that the menu wasn't showing up at all. According to my browser, that was due to the main division being set to display: none in the css. But I cannot be more specific about that now because I see that the page on your site that you linked to in your original post appears to be no longer there.

Anyways, I changed that (removed the display: none) using the browser's console and the menu appeared to work OK - ish, at least the arrows part, but clicking on a selection with an arrow obliterated it's heading until clicking elsewhere restored the menu to its default state. Still not optimal.

In any case, my advice still holds. Many improvements were made to this code since 2012 (date of the version you had up).

aminkorea
08-18-2017, 05:14 AM
In which css are you referring to where the main division was set to display: none? I done loaded the css and js files from the DD website and replaced the old files. The menu appears to be working, but still haven't got the arrows to work. Can the path to the images be absolute or do they have to be relative? I have tried both and neither seems to work.

aminkorea
08-18-2017, 05:47 AM
I finally figured it out and everything is working now. I still have one issue, though, and I am not sure if you will be able to help after reading the faq.

I want to have my main menu on the top and a secondary menu just over the main text. According to the instructions on DD's site, this can be accomplished using one horizontal and one vertical menu. The problem is that I want both menus to be horizontal. See http://www.johnsesl.com/responsive/grammar/ as an example. The problem I am having is that the smaller menu completely disappears at the break point for smaller screen devices. I have tried using two different names for the css files and two different IDs for the div tag, and nothing helps. Any advice? Thanks again for your help.

jscheuer1
08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
I did a lot of work on this menu, but that "hamburger" menu for small screens wasn't part of it. There's a quick and dirty fix though, add this to the stylesheet:

div#smoothmenu2 {
display: block !important;
}

Now, at a certain point, the smaller menu stacks itself, so more might need to be done to make it as fully usable on smaller screens as it could be, but try this out for now and see how you like it. At least one can still see it and use it.

aminkorea
08-18-2017, 10:08 PM
Sorry, but this isn't working for me. The small menu still disappears at the break point. Maybe I just need to find a different solution.

jscheuer1
08-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Actually it looks like it's working here. Maybe all you need to do is refresh the page and/or clear the cache.

aminkorea
08-19-2017, 11:04 AM
You're right. It is working. Thanks again for your help with this.

jscheuer1
08-19-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm still not 100% happy with how it works, but it works. I'll be giving this more thought when I have the time.