PDA

View Full Version : Frequent time-outs

mwinter
03-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Is anyone else finding frequent session time-outs when writing replies? I often have to log in again to submit a post, sometimes resulting in the forum software failing to add my post, or claiming that it can't find the thread but in fact had and included my submission.

Would it be possible to extend the time-out period?

Mike

By the way, I did mean to post this in the Feedback forum. Oops. :(

BLiZZaRD
03-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I have noticed this over the past couple of days as well. When making a long post, or having to pause to maintain my forums and chats, I come back to find out I am logged out.

I have learned to copy and paste my current post, before eing idle for too long, LOL.

Twey
03-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Really? That's odd... I hadn't noticed this. In fact, my session never seems to time out... I can come back a day later after not having been logged in and still have it.

jscheuer1
03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
I've noticed the problem but it seems better lately, still a little too quick to log me out if I am searching for an important detail to include, mid-post. Not really much of a problem though as I frequently copy my material to the clipboard and to my script editor to check spelling and test code so I almost always have a copy, at least in the buffer. It is still annoying.

Conversely, there was a time when it seemed impossible to log out.

mwinter
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
[...] my session never seems to time outThat used to be the case for me, too. I have forgotten to log out a couple of times in the past, but, since the upgrade (I think), my sessions time-out quite frequently.

I haven't checked how long I can remain logged in without activity, but it's not long enough. :)

Mike

BLiZZaRD
03-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Just a note, I wasn't testing on purpose, just happened to notice the time. Left the last post here and went to do an info search, was gone 7 minutes, came back and had to log back in...

Yesterday I was making a long post and was probably typing for closer to 4 or 5 when I had to log back in.

Just trying to help :)

BLiZZaRD
06-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Not to bring up old news... but over the last few days I have noticed an increase in this occurance.

I can't read a new post and then back out to the main forum view without being logged out.

I have clicked and unclick the "remember me" I have verified all cookies stay and are active, yet this doesn't seem to affect it either way.

It is quite a pain to log in after every post or reading a new thread and going back.

~BLiZZ

Twey
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I've still never been logged out unless I explicitly do so.

BLiZZaRD
06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I wonder if it is a Windows thing... it doesn't happen when I am logged into my Nix box, even though I use FF1.5.x on both... ???

Twey
06-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Could happen if you have something set to delete cookies after a timeout.

ddadmin
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Hmm I've *never* been logged out unexpectedly, and I'm using IE6 Win.

djr33
06-06-2006, 05:35 AM
I've lost some long posts this way. Might be because I didn't click "remember me" as I was on a school computer.

Really annoying to retype long posts, though.

It also deletes it from the history... hitting back gives you a blank page.

:\

benslayton
06-06-2006, 06:04 AM
hmm, weird, havent really noticed that. I can leave my browser up all night long wake up, and I'm still logged in.
*using IE & FF (newest versions)

djr33
06-06-2006, 06:06 AM
if you've chosen that option. I don't want it to leave me logged in at school. But I also don't want to be kicked off quite so easily.

benslayton
06-06-2006, 06:08 AM
You know there is a log out button right, So when your at school go ahead and click remember me. Just use the log out button...

djr33
06-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Oh, sure. I just don't like the chance of forgetting. sometimes I log off the computer in a hurry, and the window might close, leaving my logged in. No big deal... could just do that... just hasn't seemed like it mattered.
Anyway... 3 more schools days til HS is over, and none will be on a computer, so whatever ;)