View Full Version : Full Page Slideshow - Works on PC but not on Webhost Site - Please Help

10-02-2016, 01:32 PM
1) Script Title: Full Page Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fullpageslideshow/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I’ve got the Full Page Slideshow working like a champ on my PC (Windows 7, local host) but when I moved my site (The Dinosaur Fan; www.dinofan.com) up to my web host (HostGator), it is no longer working. The page comes up, I see the “throbber” throbbing away just fine, and I can see a outline of the text box background in the bottom-right corner of the screen where I configured it. There are no error messages; at least none that I can see.

Can someone please help me trouble shoot this? I am not very technical which is why I use pre-coded scripts like this. I asked my web host to take a cursory glance at the code to see if there are any obvious path/connection/server settings issues but they refused, relying on the age-old, “its custom code, we can’t help”. I do not even know where to begin and I do not know JavaScript though I could edit it if told what to change. I’ve attached the code to the webpage with the script in it. NOTE: I am running a second script from Dynamic Drive (Sticky Tootip) on the same page and it works fine which makes me think the Full Page Slideshow just needs a minor tweak and/or requires “something” to be turned on or configured on the host site.

FYI, I saved the attachment as a text file (.txt) but it is actually ASP.NET page (.aspx).

10-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm getting this error in the console:

http://dinofan.com/playlist.json Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

Either you failed to upload it or, perhaps it's saved in a different case. Upper and lower case letters in filenames are usually seen as meaning the same thing on a local computer, generally they indicate different files on the server.

But, I'm thinking more likely you just neglected to upload it or put it somewhere else than the code is expecting to see it. It should be in the root folder of the domain.

But it might be there. If I try to navigate directly to it, I get a different error message directly from the server. Go to this link to read it (note, since this has been fixed, you will now see the intended file if it's still there):


If that doesn't make sense to you, ask your host for support. It's a fairly simple matter generally, in your configuration you can set files with the .json extension to be the type of file that can be accessed.

It's also possible you could rename it to a .txt file and change where it's referenced in the code to look for that type file, but that might cause other problems, but should work. call it playlist.txt upload it as that, then in the code on the page change:

$("#pan_area").smoothslider("install", {
"playlist_url": "playlist.json", // get the playlist and some config from the server


$("#pan_area").smoothslider("install", {
"playlist_url": "playlist.txt", // get the playlist and some config from the server

The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.

10-02-2016, 09:48 PM
jscheuer1, I am extremely grateful that you took the time to respond to my plea for help. After 45 minutes of IM's with my web host and then another two hours for a Window tech to look at the problem, they added the .json extension to their server MIME types with an associated Handler Mapping and .... BOOM! The problem was solved! I would never have known to look at this. Folks like you are a true blessing to non-techies like myself. Thank you so very much.