PDA

View Full Version : Top Link possibly causing page to refresh

jay3ld
03-01-2006, 05:33 AM
I use a jump to top script i got here from a long time ago and have modified it a little. but what i have changed shouldn't of affected what the problem is im experiencing. or more of some of my IE users.

Only Some of my IE users while browsing my forums will have the page constantly refreshing on them. Bugging me because i can not get it to happen. My host can not get it to happen. Only a few IE users can.
http://lordsofclantribe.com/forums/jumptop.js

reading the script i saw this bit of code

function regenerate(){
window.location.reload()
}

is it possible that the script could be causing these page refreshes? It does it everywhere on my forums and this is the only javascript that is running across the whole forums at all times.

jscheuer1
03-01-2006, 06:52 AM
In the script you furnished, that function will only fire under a browser which supports document.layers which IE does not but perhaps IE Mac does. Find out if these users are Mac users. The document.layers test is supposed to allow only NS4. However, even in IE6 for the pc, if you were to have an image with the name 'layers', if(document.layers) would return [object] and the code would fire if triggered*. If you were to have a form with this name, this will also cause it to return [object] and the event will fire if triggered*.

*To actually trigger you would need this named object and the user would have to resize the browser window, then it would fire, so perhaps this is why it is hard to duplicate.

Still, without seeing your pages and, more specifically, the problem in action, it is hard to say with any certainty if this script is the cause or not. I'd look into the possibility of a form and/or an image somehow having or acquiring that name though, because that would definitely do it.

jay3ld
03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
they are all pc users. for one they say to that it happens in IE6 and i know 95% of them and what systems they run.

If you want to view my forums you can here:
http://lordsofclantribe.com/forums/index.php

It is hard to get the problem in action when i nor our host can get it to happen and only a few users do.

TheJoshMan
03-02-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey i really wouldn't have a clue as to how to help on this one... but I did go to the page in question and I did what John suggested... and resized the window... and sure enough the page refreshed. That's the only time it would do it though. Good Luck.

*Edit* I am running IE 6 and Windows XP on a regular old PC

jay3ld
03-02-2006, 04:38 AM
it should refresh when your resize. and only when you resize. this is to keep the top link in lower right in the right place.