PDA

View Full Version : drilldown menu help

estudioit
05-23-2016, 05:06 PM
1) Script Title: Drilldown menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/drilldownmenu.htm

3) Describe problem:
Im looking for a solution to made the menu items on the beradcrumb to be navegable, I mean to respond to the url even if is a selector (parent item), like the facebook help center (https://www.facebook.com/help/)

Right now, as far I understand, the script just works with links only on the final level, no matter if is x levels deep, and do not apply links on the parent ulīs with childs.

If someone can help ....

thanks.

PD.. I have search the web for a week and can found nothing to do this. This script is very awesome and does the job fantastic, just for this detail. Im not a jquery programmer.

molendijk
05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
Do you mean that items having subitems should not just open the list of subitems, but also open a new page? That's not what the facebook-help page does on my machine. Anyhow, you can force this behavior by using lines like:

href="javascript: void(0)" onclick="location.href='your_new_page.html'; return false"

estudioit
05-23-2016, 10:11 PM
for sure... but the problem is the breadcrumbs... A breadcrumbs supoossed to show you a navigation on the fly, so whnever you want to go back it will get you to that page. On this script it just show you the prior menu level and do not move you to the desire page, unlike the facebook help on certain links. Maybe is the way that supposed to work, I really dont know if I am asking something out of sense.

This script is the very best I found, but only for this feature.
So do anybody work with this or something like ?

regards

molendijk
05-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Can you give me an example where the facebook-help page does what you want?

estudioit
05-24-2016, 01:43 PM
for instance... on the facebook help when you are on N level deep and click "Desktop Help" it returs you to the main level of the menu and to the home page. I have try to put a link on the option of the script "this.homecrumbtext:" but of course helpless... thats really something for sure can be done I guess.
The second issue, the navigation on ULīs with children, I found that commenting "e.preventDefault()" in some functions (and as I found since the latest version of 1.x of Jquery) it work with the link in the menu, but no backwards on the breadcrumbs, I mean still working but no link. I donīt want to sound unserious but I can sware that I saw that before, but right now I canīt show you an example. It just waht i need. sorry for this.
Now, maybe the second situation is almost impossible without rewriting, speacially (and I dont wanna sound pedant) for the age and compatibilty of the script (it says 2009); but by now, if you can help me with the full backwards in the first link of the breadcrums.. Iīll really appreciate dough.

thanks

molendijk
05-24-2016, 03:58 PM
I think I understand what you mean now. I'm very busy at the moment, so I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

estudioit
05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Oh men Iīll really appreciate this... Iīll be waiting
Thanks a lot

molendijk
05-24-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you very much because I'm unfamiliar with this script. The following may be helpful though.

You should be able to go to the home page when the first link of the breadcrumbs is clicked on by replacing

this.homecrumbtext='Home Dir'
in the js-file width something like

this.homecrumbtext='<span style="cursor: pointer" onclick="location.href=\'page1.html\';">Home Dir</span>'
(if your home page is called 'page1.html'; if not replace 'page1.html' width your home page name). Of course you can replace Home Dir with whatever text you want.

To make sure that the menu returns to its initial state (when the first link of the breadcrumbs is clicked on), set enable to false for persist, at least on the home page.

jscheuer1
05-25-2016, 04:25 AM
I've been loosely following this thread and I'd just like to add that breadcrumb menus are more work than might at first appear. And that there are at least two main approaches:

You can just put a logical crumb trail in a prominent place on each page that reflects the organizational flow of the site regardless of how a given visitor reaches a given page.

Or you can endeavor to track a visitor's movements throughout the site, giving as close to a real time trail as is possible.

The first approach, though not easy by any means, is far easier than the second one which I believe in order to be optimal must include server side code to effectively track a visitor's movements. Even then there are bound to be occasional glitches.

Most sites that offer this sort of navigational/organizational aid usually (as far as I've seen) use the first approach. Needless to say, there are many logical inconsistencies doing it that way. Yet it generally ends up being an effective aid to navigation of complex hierarchically arranged sites/content.

Further - to just slap this idea onto a menu (like the Drill Down menu at issue here) that already sort of looks like it does that is a much more complex thing than one might think. Arie's initial suggestion (which I believe was to simply write out the desired links in a manner consistent with #1 above) is probably the best approach for doing breadcrumbs with this script.

estudioit
05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
John, I agree with the logical approches you mentioned for a logical breadcrumbs, specially the way a visitor reach a given page, but this is not my case. This is my scenario: the user must login fisrt and start a session, so no way can enter by searching or linking. Second, the data of the links are charged on a Iframe on the main area, so again it is impossible to load a variable or some who can display a breadcrumbs, mostly because the data come from different sources, lenguages and servers.
So thats why we think that doing it with Some Jquery will be the solution. Now, you are right, to do some breadcrumbs without a session based programming can be a nightmare. But right now if I can make that the menu on X level deep refresh the whole thing when click on "home", just like facebook-help, I will make my boss happy.
So, by now Arie the solution you mentioned did not work on my end, even thoug if enable persist. Can be two things, what you think... Or the updating of the Jquery version or the functions Ive commented with the "prevent default", but without that there is no link on the ULīs with children. Iīll try with the original source and check if its work

thank you both guys

jscheuer1
05-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Is that a server side session? If so, I think you would be better off tracking on the server side. You can always make it look nicer, have greater interactivity via javascript later. If this is a server session, is that PHP you are using? I ask because that's the only language I would even have a chance at being able to help with a server side approach to breadcrumbs.