PDA

View Full Version : Can Memory Scroller remember horizontal position?

Jilt
02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Script: Memory Scroller
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/memoryscroller.htm

Dear forum,

I inserted the Memory scroller script into a page that scrolls horizontally. Is it true scrolling to the left and right is not remembered by the script? If so: is there a way to alter the script to make this work as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,
JIlt

ddadmin
02-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Actually, that's the essense of this script- it will remember the location of its scroll position horizontally when you leave the page and then return. Are you not getting this behavior on the demo?

Jilt
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
You mean the demo that´s presented on the page itself? (The one that says: "Make a note of the current scroller position, and try reloading the current page or going to another URL then returning. The scroller will continue from where it last left off"?)
This page doesn't have a horizontal scroll bar in my browser (IE 5.0) window, only a vertical one.
I inserted the piece of script just after the '<body>'-tag. The web page does show the 'Thank you for visiting Dynamic Drive'-message, but the scrolling doesn't work.

Jilt

jscheuer1
03-04-2006, 12:09 PM
IE5.0? Are you a Mac user? Anyways, the memory scroller remembers where it was in its scrolling (marquee like) behavior when the page is unloaded, not where the page was scrolled to.

Notes: The script is rated for Opera7+ but fails in Opera8.52 on the demo page. In general, the browser will remember where a page was scrolled to vertically and return there on reload or hitting the back button but IE (and perhaps some others) will not remember the horizontal scroll state of a page and return to it, having nothing to do with the memory scroller script.

If saving the horizontal scroll state of a page is what you are after, a cookie can be set to accomplish this for most of those browsers that do not already do it.