PDA

View Full Version : Switch Content not working as Mailing

DellaCamelia
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Hello there!!
First of all, thanks for this wonderful script, it has really helped me a lot...

I have it in a mailing html (to send to our costumers), but the script isn't working when you open it in your email.

I don't why is that, the rest of the website is perfectly displayed, but the script just isn't working... does it have something to do with the fact that it isn't in a webserver anymore, or something like that?

is there any possible solution...??

here is my htm file working -> http://www.globalsolution.tie.cl/BCP_DRP/index.htm

you can see it works online, but it doesn't work in Outloook, gmail, and stuff :(

jscheuer1
02-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Do other javascripts work in mailings?

DellaCamelia
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
that
<body onLoad="window.location.href='http://www.globalsolution.cl/scripts/glb/cursos.mv'">
</body>
doesn't work either =(

mabe is it has to do with some misplaced reference?

jscheuer1
02-24-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking it might be security. In mail programs, javascript can potentially be more destructive and/or misleading than on the web. For that reason, it is my guess that most mail programs would disable it.

Also, since an email message isn't a web page, things like onload could have different meanings or be meaningless. For example, with onload, it implies:

window.onload

There is no real window in an email.

Another thing to consider is that many folks' email programs will not display HTML, let alone javascript. So it is best that you at least have a text version of your message that goes out along with the HTML one for those people.

DellaCamelia
02-25-2006, 03:03 PM
yeah, that might be the thing =(

outlook displays very well the rest of the html, but the script just doesn't work... thanks anyway =)

Twey
02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Why not to use HTML email (http://www.expita.com/nomime.html) (unless you're sure the other person can handle it [I.E. they've already sent you an HTML email]).

DellaCamelia
02-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Why not to use HTML email (http://www.expita.com/nomime.html) (unless you're sure the other person can handle it [I.E. they've already sent you an HTML email]).

=)

the people we send mail to, don't care... in fact, many of them send html email themselves...

html mail is the future, and there is nothing you can do about it :)

Twey
02-25-2006, 06:50 PM
html mail is the future, and there is nothing you can do about it :)Of course it is. That doesn't mean it's ready now, to use one of Mike's favourite arguments against XHTML. When every mail client in use supports HTML, it'll be technically fine to use it (although not necessarily aesthetically, but that's outside my area of expertise, so I'll leave it well alone). While they don't, and you can't be sure that the recipient's client supports HTML, HTML email should be avoided at all costs. Personally, I don't forsee HTML email making the transition from "the future" to "the present" for a while yet; I suspect that it'll be ready for universal use about the time 1MB broadband becomes the lowest connection speed available. While there are downsides, frankly there's no incentive to use HTML email: most of the tasks people use email for don't require any of the features it offers. Certainly pretty formatting is nice, but when you have clients that don't support it (and more that support it but have it disabled) and slow internet connections over which it could take a long time to download, it's not yet worth it.

DellaCamelia
02-26-2006, 01:00 PM
oh, but if you're talking about spamming, you're absolutely right... I mean, spamming with html is just being totally a sucker... spamming is wrong whatsoever.

but if you know WHO you're mailing to, and that persons knows where there mailing FROM there is no problem at all... that's what we do =)

Twey
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM
if you're talking about spammingI wasn't :-\
if you know WHO you're mailing to, and that persons knows where there mailing FROM there is no problem at all.If you're sure they have a client that supports HTML, and the formatting adds sufficiently to the quality/readability of the content to make the extra bandwidth usage worthwhile, then certainly.