PDA

View Full Version : Help in Creating Custom Ability Tree for your site.

Przemo0c
07-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Hello Everyone!

For a long time I wanted to create My OWN Ability Tree that you can often see in many games.
Sometimes they call it Talent/Skill/Ability Calculator, but no matter what is the name of it, it works almost the same.

... And because I am not a master of Javascript (unfortunately) I came here guys for help! :P
I need to add that I've search through the Internet, and there is no tutorial or something that could help me to it.
If you guys can help me that would be really great.

Here is the example of Ability Tree that I am aiming for : Talent calculator - Allods Online Database.
If you guys can write in points what should I do to get a similar effect it would be even greater.

Thanks

ajfmrf
07-18-2015, 04:58 AM
wow,am I confused.

You need to be a lot more clear on what you want.

Can you provide an example? A site with what you are refering too?

Przemo0c
07-18-2015, 08:28 AM
OMG! I'm sorry , I didn't realize that I haven't add the link...

So the Talent Tree that I am aiming for is here : http://en.allodswiki.ru/calc/#!8!113.................................!cly/A!a/A!a/A
I mean the one which starts at the center and you can create your own path. The talents that are inactive are gray, the ones that are active are coloured.

also I have a question : Does this talent tree need to be created just in Javascript?
Because since I'm not familiar with Javascript I cannot imagine positioning of all those images.

Thank you for pointing the lack of link :)
And hopefully thanks for the answer

Przemo0c
07-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks... or sorry you did not help...

styxlawyer
07-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks... or sorry you did not help...

I guess nobody here understands what that page is about. It certainly means nothing to me.

Beverleyh
07-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Przemo0c, the main problem I see is that you are not being clear enough on what it is you want.

To you, it may seem perfectly obvious what a Skill/Talent calculator is, but for many of us here (and knowing the regulars who post, I'd be willing to substitute *all* for *many*) we have NO IDEA what one is, or what it does, or how it integrates into your existing application (I'm assuming this is something that will be bound to members of a gaming network?).

I visited your link and got as far as seeing a few highlighted squares, that when clicked, highlight other linked squares and show a popup panel, but I couldn't tell what criteria links them, or activates them, or what values are added together to calculate X skill the further down the line somebody progresses.

So currently, not only are you asking for help in creating an interactive interface (that presumably links to an existing application), you're also asking for somebody to work out the logic for you in order to do it, with very little in the way of guidelines or an explanation of how it all works. Are you hoping that somebody spends time clicking around looking for patterns until it makes sense? Realistically, that isn't going to happen so you need to be VERY clear about your requirements before somebody can even attempt to assist you.

For starters, consider listing and breaking skills down on a spreadsheet. Include the credits/values that are to be accumulated to total which skill/card. And then explain the relationship between skills/cards with the inbuilt maths functionality of the spreadsheet software (MS Excel for example). Ultimately, this looks like something that will require a database so the more logic and calculations you can provide upfront in a spreadsheet, the easier it will be to translate into code (code is built on logic statements and maths) and a table structure to store the data.

If you are unable to provide all the data, relationships, maths and logic upfront, and if you are unable to do most of the legwork with interface design, and this project in general, this task is better suited to the paid work forum http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-General-Paid-Work-Requests

I could be wrong but to me it looks like a lot of work - too much to expect somebody to do free of charge - so hiring somebody would be more appropriate.

If however you want to treat this as a learning experience and code the project yourself, start with the logic and maths first (on a spreadsheet) and somebody can point you to some SQL and PHP tutorials that show you how to save the data to a database and then retrieve it into a web page. Later comes the data manipulation that will output the HTML markup that builds the interface.

Beverleyh
07-25-2015, 06:00 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, this could simply be a case of "click box 1, and show boxes 6,8,10,15 and 16".

No data storage. No member binding. No calculations. No relationship logic other than "click on this and show that".

If this is the case, then a simple JavaScript function could handle it. You would just need to create the visual grid interface using HTML and CSS as a starting point.

Before anyone can offer any further help, you need to provide more information and clarify exactly what your project requires.