PDA

View Full Version : no resize or minimize buttons

essco
05-29-2015, 11:24 PM
1) Script Title: dhtmlmodal.js

2) Script URL (on DD): ??

3) Describe problem: I downloaded the appropriate zip files and have tried testing them. On Chrome, on IE 11, and the latest copy of FireFox only the close button shows. And I cannot find anywhere in the documentation that allows me to enter a command to turn on(off) those buttons. I have searched this forum for resize, minimize among others and cannot find anything. Please help.

Charlie

Beverleyh
05-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

essco
05-30-2015, 01:19 AM
I looked at the thread for proper posting and it makes absolutely no sense!
I downloaded dhtmlmodal.zip from YOUR SITE
I unzipped it to a directory
I chose the example demo-modal.htm
The Terms of Service modal window was displayed.
When looking at the source it used these "scripts"

>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="windowfiles/dhtmlwindow.css" type="text/css" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="windowfiles/dhtmlwindow.js">

/***********************************************
* DHTML Window Widget- Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice must stay intact for legal use.
* Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
***********************************************/

</script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="modalfiles/modal.css" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="modalfiles/modal.js"></script>

I have been a client of yours for like 2 hours and I have found that you are more interested in finding out how not to answer the question and what rule I broke than helping me. It took me five minutes to figure out what DD meant. How should I know which one of YOUR scripts is not working, this is YOUR demo.
No matter what browser I run YOUR script on I only get a close button.

Why would I put a script that I was testing on localhost on my website that doesn't work?

How do you turn on the minimize, resize, and close buttons seems to me to be a straight forward question and should not take an indepth analysis of days.

I can't believe YOUR script shows any buttons but the cancel button when you run it. Why don't you try it and see...I have run on IE11 and in compatibility mode 10, 9, 8, 7, and 5. I have run it on the latest Chrome and on the latest Firefox all I get is the close button. That is the problem.

Fix it...I neither have the time nor the energy to listen to reasons why you will not even look at my problem. How do you turn on or off the minimize, resize, and close buttons, only the close button shows in YOUR example and I cannot find anywhere in your documentation that talks about this.

Beverleyh
05-30-2015, 07:44 AM
I downloaded dhtmlmodal.zip from YOUR SITEGreat. Let's start there. What page did you download it from? We need you to post the link to the demo page so that we know what script you're using and check that you're installing it correctly from the instructions. There are so many scripts here on DD that a name or title is not enough -- and the name of just the zip package (as you provided at the start of this thread) is even less information. How can we help you with only that?

We also need the link to your site so that we can see how you've installed it, but also to check that usage terms are being upheld (the presence of the copyright notice).

If the script on the demo page doesn't work then of course we don't expect you to install it on your site but you didn't say that in your opening thread so how are we to know?

You, as a member (no money has changed hands so 'client' isn't really an accurate description), and somebody asking for help from other members and volunteers (which we ALL are -- even the professional developers who make their time available to help folks, like yourself, for free), have a responsibility to provide enough meaningful and descriptive information in order for others to offer help. Basically, you need to make it easy for others to help you otherwise we cannot give you the help you need. It is unlikely that anyone (and we're all busy people... just helping in the forums here around our careers and families, out of the goodness of our hearts) will go hunting for a script for you, on the off chance that it's the one you're referring to. YOU are in the best position to do that.

Fix it...I neither have the time nor the energy to listen to reasons why you will not even look at my problem.Hmmm, not quite the way I'd have phrased it, and I think you jumped the gun a bit. No one said that they wouldn't look at your problem - there wasn't enough information to make that assessment. Hopefully somebody will be able to do that.

Good luck with your project.

jundo12
05-31-2015, 02:07 AM
i think this is the page he's talking about.
but erm, not a very good way to introduce himself/herself. lol
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/dhtmlwindow/dhtmlmodal.htm

jundo12
05-31-2015, 02:15 AM
i may be mistaken but i don't think modal windows have a way to separately minimize them. they're like glued to the browser window till you exit out of the modal with its close button

Beverleyh
05-31-2015, 07:04 AM
i may be mistaken but i don't think modal windows have a way to separately minimize them.
That would be my understanding also based on this line from the demo page intro;
...requiring the user to explicitly close it before the veil is lifted and the user can interact with the page again.

I agree that we still need more information. If indeed that is the script, it appears to be working as intended, so we need to know what exactly is and isnt working for them, and in what circumstances (maybe this is also one of those scripts that needs to be online to work?). A screen capture of what they see, with the areas circled perhaps, would help us understand more of what the problem is. Clarification of the script in question is the first thing to establish though.

jundo12
06-01-2015, 01:56 AM
T(maybe this is also one of those scripts that needs to be online to work?).

ah yes the infamous php scripts about drove me crazy til i found out they have to be online to see them (or have a special program that lets you see your changes to it on your desktop)
must've spent 3 days working on that problem. this method of learning internet languages is enough to give ya gray hair