PDA

View Full Version : Advanced RSS Ticker - Display Date next to Topic!

ikarus79m
02-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Hey,

I just installed your RSS ticker and I love it! However, I would like to include the date of the past next to the topic name instead of under it. Is there any way to do this?

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Philipp

ddadmin
02-20-2006, 03:18 PM

You can basically format the ticker contents any way you want just by edditing the relevant code block inside rssticker.js. In this case, open up rssticker.js, and locate the line:

var feeddate='<div class="rssdate">'+this.pubdate[this.pointer]+'</div>'

Change that to something like:

var feeddate=' <span class="rssdate">'+this.pubdate[this.pointer]+'</span>'

That should do it.

ikarus79m
02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey,

sorry about not including the link. The script is at:

http://www.emotionp.com/

I tried your code, however, the date is still being displayed under the topic instead of next to it.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you

Philipp

ddadmin
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Ah yes, the span tag needs to go inside the DIV tag above it if you don't want a line break between the description and title. So instead of the current:

var description='<div class="rssdescription">'+this.description[this.pointer]+'</div>'

Change it to something like:

var description=this.description[this.pointer]

Then locate the line:

var tickercontent=linktitle+feeddate+description //STRING FOR FEED CONTENTS

and change that to:

var tickercontent=linktitle+'<div class="rssdescription">'+description+feeddate+'</div>'

Basically all I"m doing is changing the output of the HTML so the <span> tag for the title does inside the <div> tag of the description, the way to prevent a line break between the two items.

ikarus79m
02-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Hey again,

I followed your advise and changed it as you said, but still there is still that line break. :-(

Could you take one more look at it for me?

I really appreciate it!

ddadmin
02-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi:
Ok, lets just try and directly modify the HTML for the RSS titles to include the date. So change "var linktitle=..." inside the script to:

var linktitle='<div class="rsstitle"><a href="'+this.link[this.pointer]+'">'+this.title[this.pointer]+'</a> <span style="font-weight: normal; color: gray">'+this.pubdate[this.pointer]+'</span></div>'

For "var feeddate=..." that follows inside the script, set it to blank:

var feeddate=""

That should do it. :) Please note that all I'm doing is playing around with the output HTML. If you know HTML well enough, you should be able to change things around to format the ticker exactly as you wish.