PDA

View Full Version : trouble opening files

whogivesa
02-20-2006, 06:08 AM
script: Top Navigational Bar (aka Smart menu)
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/index.htm

I am having trouble opening JScript files. All I keep getting is "document undefined". I am trying to open menucontext so I can edit the nav bar. I am pretty new at this so I dont know if this is a common problem or not. Please help!

jscheuer1
02-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Not a common problem, no. Try opening it in Notepad (or Simple Text, if you Mac).

whogivesa
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I am not being given an option of what to open it with. Even when I right click I cant force it to open in any piticular program. I just learned that not all js files say error, just the menu.js. When I click on menucontext.js it brings up a box titled "file download-security warning" (as all js. files from dynamic drive oddly seem to do). It tells me info on the file (name, publisher, type) and gives me the option to either open or close. When I select to open the file nothing seems to happen other than the window disappearing.

I am very confused, any suggestions are welcome and worth a shot, thanks
Aaron

jscheuer1
02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
If you are using a browser like IE6 that can be very picky about .js files, you need to download the entire package and unzip it, that is the simplest way to obtain the files (from the demo page):

Simply download the following file (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/topmenu.zip), and follow the instructions in the readme.txt file.

By way of explanation, I thought you had already done that and were having trouble opening the files locally on your computer.

Twey
02-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The problem is that the extension .js is used for Microsoft's JScript command scripting. After right-clicking and saving the target somewhere, open Notepad, click press ctrl-o, select "all files" in the drop-down box, then navigate to the file and open it.

whogivesa
02-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I am now able to open them...thanks alot!