PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Newbie unable to find answer to layout issue.

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 06:33 AM
I am trying to solve a viewing issue but cant put my finger on it.
I see one layout on the pc but another on the ipad.
Here is the page in question http://www.theremotedoctor.co.uk/basic.html

Ive attached the view i see on the ipad.
The tabs Home Page, Contact Me etc etc should be to the right of the two characters in the image & also The Remote Doctor text image should be below the tabs.
As you can see from the ipad view its out of place.

Trying to solve this i have done the following one by one but no change is seen,so ive put it back as it was then continued with another try.
Remove the two character image.
Remove The Remote Doctor text image.
Remove the shadow box.
Remove the border around the tabs.
Remove one of the tabs.

This new site im having a go at was taken from here http://www.prowebdesign.ro/simple-responsive-template/basic.html
Then was changed to my theme.
The home page link supplied above looks the same on the pc & on the ipad so i know its something ive done but cant find it.

Please take a look and advise.

Thanks very much.

coothead
04-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Hi there theremotedr,

I can't help you with your problem, but I would like to point out that your custom cursor is not only
extremely aggravating, but more importantly it makes vertical scrolling of the page extremely difficult. :eek:

coothead

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Ok,
I will remove it,i did however get it from this site.

coothead
04-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Yes, that's better now and it gives more professional look to the page. :)

coothead

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Apart from why the header part has altered ?
Looking at the original, link supplied above it views fine on the pc & ipad.
Ive made a change which now results in the ipad view out of sync.

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Just an update.
I narrowed the fault down to the basic-style.css file

Still looking.

Beverleyh
04-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Ok,
I will remove it,i did however get it from this site.It's worth noting that all the cursor scripts on DD hail from a time where these kinds of fun flourishes were more common on the web - 2008 and earlier, when the likes of Geocities and MySpace were thriving (and we all know what happened to those "festive" endeavours). ;)

Weighing up appropriateness against availability of such web scripts/tools/widgets nowadays is something we should consider carefully. It actually puts me in mind of a web development article I read a while back, where somebody had commented underneath that "anybody can make a web site" - which in today's climate of point-and-click website builders, freebie templates and plug-in scripts, is somewhat true - but the commenter later received this reply (presumably from a more seasoned developer with a deeper insight into the intricacies of his field);
Yes, anyone can make a website... In much the same way that anyone with a rusty kitchen knife can take out your appendix"The essence of this witty retort boils down to the following sentiments; just because we *can* do something, doesn't mean that we *should*.

But I digress...

Yes, I agree that it was a wise decision to remove the custom cursor. The script might still be useful and fitting to something more personal, fun or child-focused, but the default cursor is more appropriate for a business site.

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Point noted.

styxlawyer
04-26-2015, 01:37 PM
I am trying to solve a viewing issue but cant put my finger on it.
I see one layout on the pc but another on the ipad.
Please take a look and advise.

GoDaddy supports the use of Wordpress. Have you thought of using one of the many free responsive templates available? It would make your life much easier.

theremotedr
04-26-2015, 01:43 PM
This is a free responsive template that was used.
Ive then used its main files and edited with my text & images.
So far i am pleased with it.
Still trying to see why its altered on the ipad.

I thought i found it but no such luck.