PDA

View Full Version : Object doesn't support this property or Method

visions
12-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Getting error printing on this page... it works great on IE 6, and 7, but IE 8, 9 or 10 it won't print i get this error in screenshot and this is the html code for that page:

Any help would be great or insight on how to fix.

You can see the html code here it's similar to pastebin.

https://paste.ee/p/ijStr

jscheuer1
12-12-2014, 02:24 AM
Way out of date. What are you trying to print? If the page, just window.print() will do that. If you want to print just a portion of the page or perhaps some string, it gets more complex. But the methods used by that script will not work in any modern browser. To save me some time, describe exactly what you expect it to do (what it does in IE 6 and 7).

Looking at the code more - it occurs to me that you might not mean print (using the printer) at all, rather 'print' a string to an element (place on the page). If that's the case, it should be a lot easier to update the script.

Again, in order to update it, I need to know exactly what this does when it is working as desired.

visions
12-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes this is an actual teller screen web based, we input the account number and put how much they want to deposit or withdrawl, it's not just a print page thing, it's more the other that u explained...it prints a string to an element and it prints to a wincor NIXDORF HighPrint 4915 exe US printer, it works great on IE 6 and 7, but i think it needs and updated code for it to work on IE 8, 9 and 10 and also this is a Windows 7, 64 Bit computer.

jscheuer1
12-14-2014, 03:13 AM
Although I think I'm zeroing in on what this did in older IE, I'm still not entirely sure. I think you may have to use the server in order to get what you want, but I'm not certain yet.

This part is what is currently confusing me the most:

<object id="printctls" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 120px; WIDTH: 48px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -40px; HEIGHT: 32px"
classid="../ATWPrintCtls.dll#ATWPrintCtls.CtlPrint" >
</object>

That looks as though there is some proprietary code loaded by the classid attribute of the object tag there, and that presumably that code is used to process the transaction.

Now, of course this means that I'm assuming there is real money involved and a real transaction, that must be logged to a database and generate a receipt. If that is the case, and especially if this needs to be secure, the answer may be beyond the scope of this forum, though we can still point you in the right direction.

If, on the other hand, this is an insecure transaction or not even a transaction, either representing pretend money, or simply accounting for funds that have already been transacted in a secure manner, we can probably resolve the whole thing here.

So, if you understand the distinctions I'm talking about, please describe in more detail the purpose of this page and its code.

If not, ask me a question that will hopefully clarify for you what I am talking about.

visions
12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Yes it's real money involved and a real transaction, that must be logged to a database and generate a receipt. It reads from an AS400 server that has all our secured data.

I guess it's a more advance thing going on here...i just hate that i have this error on windows 7, 64 bit and with IE 8 UP....currently we're avoiding all windows 7, 64 bit with IE 8 UP, but we're phasing those out and will start to use these new machines with updated browsers and OS so it's something i'm trying to figure out as we go along

jscheuer1
12-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Does it work in other browsers like Firefox or Chrome? If so, it should be easier to fix. Does it 'work' in IE 8 and later, but just give that error? Who gets to see this page - customers, or is it only used in house?

visions
12-17-2014, 08:04 PM
IT works only in IE, not firefox or chrome, it needs java script and activex to make it work properly, and the page that is printing is in house, customer don't see anything.

visions
12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Only working in IE 6 and 7 right now, IE 8 and 9 and 10 it gives this printing error that is shown in first post

jscheuer1
12-18-2014, 01:40 AM
OK, I keep getting a clearer picture of the situation. And it's like I said, I just can be more detailed. The newer IE browsers increasingly do not allow or often even use the once proprietary (but now being phased out) Active X. That's true Active X as opposed to mere javascript which sometimes is confused with Active X even in IE's own warnings and other messages.

IE - once the leader in innovation built most of its early advances around proprietary code that was never adopted by other browsers and that had some serious security issues. Other browsers then more or less caught up to IE and even passed it in most areas. In doing so they employed open sourced or at least standardized methods. After trying to keep pace in a sort of piecemeal way while preserving and slightly improving security of their proprietary code, eventually IE went whole hog and now adheres to standards as well and has even abandoned most if not all of their previous proprietary methods.

These previous proprietary methods often allowed disk access via javascript and Active X in order to make log files and even update database files without needing to use more secure server side languages like PHP, asp, etc. But - in the end it was seen that no client slide code (javascript and Active X for examples) could ever be anywhere as secure as server side code.

So - no modern browser will use them for disk access operations.

Now, I still don't understand why it has taken until now for you to discover that things are not working and to seek help. This has been happening (the phasing out of Active X and the uses of javascript to write to files) for some time. IE 8 - the first browser you note having trouble with is almost completely obsolete today. And other browsers like Chrome and Firefox (especially Firefox) and some others, that never worked with these methods have been around for quite some time.

Is it because you are in Belize where everything like this I've just been talking about could perhaps be behind (in a relative sense of time) where it is in the US, Europe, and many other places? Or is it because the page you are having trouble with is on a local network (LAN, intranet, or similar) where only folks with approved access and/or software can participate?

The answer to that last question will probably help me tailor the assistance I provide to you. And, since you almost certainly will have to start using some server side code - do you already have any setup/available on the server you are using? The two most common are PHP and asp. Do you have either or some other server side code available to you? If not, will you be able to install one? PHP is free and might be a good choice if your server is capable of supporting it.

visions
12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Yes for one, Belize is and was always behind with technology, we're a third world country, but we are trying to keep up to date...right now at the bank we still mainly use windows xp computer, but Microsoft have stop support for those this year and they will phase out one by one...and we work with them and buy machines from them so now all new machines are windows 7 with IE 8 to 10 preinstalled, can't go below IE 8 on these new machines, yea i did some research and it seems that 64bit IE 8 and up don't support active X anymore or some sort of thing like that...and yes everything is internal, we have our own dedicated servers, we're the only bank that has all our inhouse servers and run our own servers and branch out to other district in Belize...we're finally trying to be updated and upgrade to new servers to keep up with technology and security now....we use to use the AS400 green screen then migrated over to web base 2 years ago, but even this web base method is outdated and new browser don't support some functions. Other banks in Belize such as Scotia Bank, they report to Canada their main hub with all servers, but we run everything here, so yes to your advice we might need to move over to php or asp or try and fix any bugs or code in this web base teller module for the mean time...but for now we're avoiding all windows 7 IE 8 for those people that are using this module to do their work...that's why i'm trying to brainstorm and figure out a way to make it work on IE 8 meantime... we're so behind and i think it's time for us to really try and keep up to date with newer and faster way and secure way of doing our inhouse job and process...i thank you for your time and advice and i do believe we've address some of the main issues with this error that i'm getting...will let u know what or where we go from here with this error...

jscheuer1
12-19-2014, 04:48 AM
We could go over just exactly what needs to happen and see if there's a way to transition that to PHP that I could help you with. That's not really my area of expertise. However, I'm good at stuff like that even though I don't deal with it every day. I also have a relative who used to work for Banamex. I've emailed him. He or someone he knows may be able to better help or have a better idea what might be a good direction for you to move in. Let's stay in touch for a bit at least off and on to see if any of that might work out for you.

What sort of position do you hold at the bank?

visions
12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Found the problem...

for IE8, IE9 and IE10 it will print once i uninstall netframwork 4.5 to 4.0 and no more errors...

no solution for IE11 yet but so far this fix works for OS and browser we are using...

cheers!

visions
12-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm the bank MIS Officer, i oversee the server room, all our websites, atms, basically run the whole show here, and making sure all branches are up and running, and oversee our whole network as well...