PDA

View Full Version : Help with translucent slideshow script, please

kalew
02-17-2006, 12:02 AM
script: Translucent Slideshow

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/translucentslide.htm

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a novice in sevral areas of site design, etc.

My question: How do I position this above mentioned script in a specific spot on one of my website pages? I'm stumped...Thank you!

jscheuer1
02-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Not to appear mean or insensitive but, what part of (from the demo page):

"Simply insert the below script where you wish the slideshow to appear in the BODY:"

didn't you understand? Open up your HTML page in a text editor (Notepad is great for this, Simple Text on a Mac), find the spot within the body portion of the page where you want the script to be and paste it in there.

I realize that this can seem like mystical mumbo jumbo, especially if you are not used to looking at an HTML page as pure text but believe me, it really is pretty easy to do given a little trial and error and determination. Easier still, once you get a little familiar with the process.

Note: On the extremely slim chance that the instructions on the demo page left something out (sometimes happens) this may be trickier, probably not.

kalew
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I understand what is meant by "Simply insert the below script where you wish the slideshow to appear in the BODY:"...pretty simple to understand. Perhaps I did not explain well enough, so I'll try again. Please try to picture what I am attempting to describe:

I have a large image of an open binder (folder, booklet,whatever you want to call it), which has tabs that represent pages within the website. This image is a site map - the tabs are linked to the respective pages. What I want to do is place the slideshow within this image so it appears to be part of the binder. I inserted the script in the "body" but it does not position where I want it - within the image - and I am not sure how to get it where I want it . I'm thinking I need to use the <div> tag, but I don't really know how to accurately do it. Does this make sense???

jscheuer1
02-18-2006, 06:57 AM
I'd need to see your code to be able to be sure of determining a good way to do this for your particular page. However, if you enclose the script:

<div style="position:absolute; top:500px; left:45%;">
<script type="text/javascript">

/***********************************************
* Translucent Slideshow script- Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
***********************************************/

var trans_width='140px' //slideshow width
var trans_height='225px' //slideshow height
var pause=3000 //SET PAUSE

. . . much deleted for brevity . . .

else if (ie4||dom||document.layers)
window.onload=startit

</script>

<p align="center"><font face="arial" size="-2">This free script provided by</font><br>
<font face="arial, helvetica" size="-2"><a href="http://www.dynamicdrive.com">Dynamic Drive</a></font></p>
</div>

As shown in an absolutely (or relatively) positioned division and set the left and top properties appropriately, it will appear wherever you like. This is best done after the image or whatever on your page you want this to appear over. If the thing you are covering is absolutely or relatively positioned as well and has a z-index style set, the z-index value for the script's division must be higher than the content that you want it to cover. If the content you are covering is just in the document flow, don't worry about this last bit.

kalew
02-18-2006, 03:13 PM
John, many thanks!

How silly of me...I figured this was the "fix", but I was missing a vital word...style. Told you I was a novice...

Thanks again.