PDA

View Full Version : Search Engines

domt
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi,
I am new to all this so i apologise if this has been answered already but is there anyway of knowing for sure whether my website has been picked up by google and if so where it is ranked according to a specific search. The site has been up and running for about 6 weeks now and believe this is about the time it can take to show up, however nothing yet. I have registered the site with a few free search engines. Is it also true that the more links you have around your site (internal and external i presume) the more likely it is you will be found higher on a search?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully some will be answered.

Cheers

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Twey
02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
is there anyway of knowing for sure whether my website has been picked up by google and if so where it is ranked according to a specific searchUm... perform the search and see?
however nothing yetSearch for your site address to see if it is indeed in the database.
Is it also true that the more links you have around your site (internal and external i presume) the more likely it is you will be found higher on a search?I believe it's the number of sites that link to you. I could be wrong; I'm no SEO expert.

domt
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Firstly thanks for the reply.
Secondly yes obviously perform the search - i guess i didn't phrase it properly. Say i searched for handmade cards in google. Without trawling through hundreds of pages to find my site is there another way of knowing how far down the list i am?
Hope this is clearer

Thanks

sleipner
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
doesnt the google toolbar have a pagerank indicator on it that measures how many other sites link to you? (not sure I dont use it but...)

mrhinc
02-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Your sites coding could be changed to get better search results.
Suggestions.
Remove this.... <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
Begin with <HTML><HEAD>
Next Line....your <title>Handmade greeting cards, hand made personal greeting cards, a card for all occasions, hand-made personalized greeting cards, personal card, handmade card,hand-made card, wedding cards, birthday card, etc....<title>

Next line....<keywords> hand, made, handmade, hand-made, greeting, birthday, wedding, sympathy, card, cards, etc.

Next line <description> Handmade greeting cards, a card for any occassion, birthday cards, sympathy card, greeting cards, anniversary card, etc.

Then get into the Body of your page without any coding if possible.

Best advise...."View, Source" of the sites that are shown on the first page of any site results. Look at what they say about themselves...and "where".
Once you find your website listed....look again at the sites ahead of you.
"Compare".
Also....use the words "hand, made, greeting, card, cards, often as possible on your "index" page. Who cares if it looks abit repiticious if you are #1 on the search engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!

Twey
02-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Remove this.... <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
Begin with <HTML><HEAD>:eek: You're telling him/her to make his/her page invalid in order to get better search results?!
Pros and cons of XHTML aside, having a valid page will usually help boost your ranking. Invalidating it will most certainly not help.