PDA

View Full Version : Open links made by createObjectURL in IE11

Rain Lover
06-03-2014, 04:28 AM
Why can't you open the link in the following demo:
http://html5-demos.appspot.com/static/a.download.html

You cannot even right click and open it in a new tab/window. Is there any setting in the browser I need to customize?

jscheuer1
06-03-2014, 08:08 PM
From the demo page which you linked to:

Browser support: right now, only Chrome dev channel (14.0.835.15+) supports this attribute.

In IE 11 you can right click and "save target as".

molendijk
06-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I downloaded the file using Firefox 29.0.1. No problem.

Rain Lover
06-04-2014, 04:58 AM
From the demo page which you linked to:
"Browser support: right now, only Chrome dev channel (14.0.835.15+) supports this attribute."

The problem doesn't seem to be due to the download attribute. Here's a demo without it:
Demo (http://jsfiddle.net/Mori/yv7DG/).

Rain Lover
06-04-2014, 04:59 AM
I downloaded the file using Firefox 29.0.1. No problem.

Thanks for the test, but please give it a try in IE11.

molendijk
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Like John said: 'save target as' with IE11.

jscheuer1
06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Pretty much. As far as I can tell, this is simply a case of something (two things really, the blob and the createObjectURL) still relatively new that IE hasn't fully implemented yet. It is possible that there is a setting (or more than one) in IE 11 that would more fully enable it, but obviously (if it exists at all) it isn't the default. Also, since I get the impression that this is HTML 5, the standards that apply to it might not yet be fully established and/or might be subject to change and/or have options that give browser manufacturers choices as to how fully they wish to implement it.

Rain Lover
06-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Pretty much. As far as I can tell, this is simply a case of something (two things really, the blob and the createObjectURL) still relatively new that IE hasn't fully implemented yet. It is possible that there is a setting (or more than one) in IE 11 that would more fully enable it, but obviously (if it exists at all) it isn't the default. Also, since I get the impression that this is HTML 5, the standards that apply to it might not yet be fully established and/or might be subject to change and/or have options that give browser manufacturers choices as to how fully they wish to implement it.

Perfect answer! Thanks! :)