PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to insert script into my web site template.

Waldemar
02-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I,m working on my personal first web site project -with a template- using Dreamweaver 2004. I,m trying to put to work script for Ultimate Fade- in slide show /v 1.5/. I need some more detailed help how to do it. I do not know what instruction means saying to put first part of the script into "head' and the second into "body":o . I do not know where and how. Please help:) Thank you.

jscheuer1
02-13-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm just starting to learn about Dreamweaver templates for a client. I want to set up a template for a type of page that is used frequently so that she can just fill in the unique details, not worry about the rest of the coding and know that it will fit right in with the previously hand coded pages of its type. Enough on that except that as I look into this, I see that a dwt file isn't quite like an ordinary HTML file, even though it can produce one. Best to make your page how you want it without the script and then open it in a text editor like Notepad or Simple Text. You will then see the HTML code. There will be a <head> tag followed with some other stuff and then a </head> tag. The portion between these two tags is the head.

Waldemar
02-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Thank you John for your help.Your post gives me some idea where to paste first part of the script but I still need some more directions to deal with the second part of the code. I think there some parts of the first part of the script code which have to be deleted too, but I'm not so sure what.
Maybe there is someone here who is familiar with Ultimate Fade-slide show 1.5, which is posted in this forum, who could give me more detailed directions with inserting it into my web site page.Thanks.

jscheuer1
02-14-2006, 05:29 AM
I think there some parts of the first part of the script code which have to be deleted too, but I'm not so sure what.

Deleted and/or edited. At least near the top where the array(s) and their images and (if any) links are defined. Don't edit below this line:

////NO need to edit beyond here/////////////

For example, if you are only having one slideshow, you only need one such array defined. Care must be exercised to use the same format as the demo, including all punctuation. Unlike some demo code you will find around the web, DD rarely uses any punctuation to indicate optional items (these are usually verbally described in a commented section beginning with //). 99% of the time the punctuation is a vital part of the script code. This script is no exception. That should take care of most of your questions on part one. In part two, once again if you are only using one slideshow, you only need one 'new fadeshow' declaration. Follow the instructions for configuring that. The real key is that whatever you named your array at the top of step one, must be the first parameter of the declaration -

From step one:

var fadeimages=new Array()

From step two:

new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 1, "R")

One other tidbit that might be of help. Step two goes in the body. When you are looking at your code in the text editor, that would be between a tag that starts <body and may have other info in it before its >, ex:

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

So between that and the closing </body> tag always found near the end of the page.

Waldemar
02-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Thank you John again.I am trying to insert one slide show in the page. Should the array be configured like this:
var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["photo1.jpg", ""picts/main 1.jpg ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["photo2.jpg", ""picts/main 2.jpg""] //image with link syntax
fadeimages[2]=["photo3.jpg", ""picts/main 3.jpg ""] //image with link and target syntax
It still does not work and my second part of the script shows in picture window as the text.:confused:
I,m lost:o