PDA

View Full Version : DD Switch Content Script & Safari not working

Rob82
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Hey People!

as a rookie i was hoping that someone could explain why the DD Switch Content Script http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/switchcontent.htm
does not work in safari browser. i got it working in my online directory, directory.rieder.co.uk/ (http://directory.rieder.co.uk/), and it works fine in IE and FF but my friend cannot expand the boxes in safari.

is there a way to fix this?

any help appreciated, thanks

Rob

jscheuer1
02-12-2006, 10:34 AM
The simple answer is that it is not rated for Safari. Don't feel too bad, it also isn't rated for Opera. The ratings for each script are on the right hand side of the demo page, on the same line as the script's name.

To 'fix it' would require troubleshooting. This would begin with any errors that could be discovered using whatever script debugging tools Safari may have. Not being a Mac user, I don't know what these may, if any, be. I do know that if the script is reasonably well written (probably is), it will need to have certain object tests disabled before any errors useful in debugging it for Safari would become apparent.

Twey
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
That rating ought to be updated. The script does indeed work with Opera 8.51 and Konqueror 3.5.
I presume that Safari uses an outdated KHTML component. Wait for it to use 3.5.

Rob82
02-12-2006, 02:12 PM
thanks guys

i will find out what version of safari my friend is using. from what i can gather from this forum there appears to be a general problem with mac and javascript. hmm.

Rob

jscheuer1
02-12-2006, 11:35 PM
It's not so much Mac and javascript as that no one around here has a Mac to test on. The installed base is very small as well. Even so, we test for Opera, a niche browser. If I had a Mac, I would test on it. I'd like it if someone with one would become active in these forums. I've debugged two scripts (on separate occasions) for Mac with the assistance of two folks in the forums to act as testers but, in one case it required a tremendous amount of back and forth. It is so much easier, as a developer, if you can see the immediate result of your code changes.

Twey
02-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Roll on Tiger x86.