PDA

View Full Version : JavaScript Menu. Display on same page

LamarM
04-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I hope I'm on the right thread, if not, sorry.
HI. I downloaded the following menu All Levels Navigational Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library using the following files
ddlevelsmenu-base.css
ddlevelsmenu-topbar.css
ddlevelsmenu-sidebar.css
ddlevelsmenu.js

what I'm trying to do is when I click a menu item the content displays on the same page instead of spawning a new page. can someone tell me how to do this. Examples would be very helpful. I haven't done any serious web coding in many years, so please pardon my ignorance.

thanks Lamar

jscheuer1
04-17-2014, 05:01 PM
What you are talking about is usually done using a targeted frame, targeted iframe, or AJAX that targets a div element. Whichever, these are accomplished by (in the case of targeted frame or iframe) specialized links and in the case of AJAX, links that use javascript to invoke an AJAX call. Since the markup for the menu is preserved, you should be able to use any of those methods. So, if you know how to do that with a simple link, you can do it with this menu. And the menu itself (in this case) has nothing to do with were the content appears. Using targeted frames or iframes is part of basic HTML and you can Google it if you need help using them. If you are unfamiliar with AJAX, it's theory is complicated, but here's a decent introductory script:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ajaxcontent.htm

But skip the loadobjs part, it's almost useless.