PDA

View Full Version : browsers that don't support DHTML

novajc1
11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Any advice on writing alternative code for an older browser? I used one of the scripts provided on this site, one that basically created a DHTML scrollable frame, but when the browser doesn't support it the text spills all down the page and looks awful. Can I write something where users with older browsers will just see a simple text message with a link to an alternative page to view the contents?

Thanks everyone,
Jeff

simonf
11-18-2004, 06:48 AM
The real question you have to ask yourself/client is what percentage of the market are you aiming at with this extra work. Most users etc have upgraded so the percentage on old browsers etc is very small. Personally I would not worry about it... rgds,Simonf

cr3ative
11-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Most users always want the latest and greatest incarnations of Windows, so they usually have browsers capable. I should imagine only 2-6% of users have DHTML incapable browsers.

cr3ative

ddadmin
11-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Well, when you're talking about DHTML, I think what you're really talking about is JavaScript. I'd say 98% of browsers out there support JavaScript, but there will be people that have explicitly turned off JavaScript in their browser for various reasons. For these people, I bet they're very used to not being able to access many sites online, as a very good percentage of well known sites out there depend on some JavaScript to power them. For them, there is nothing you can do, as it's by their own choice.

SargeTron
12-18-2004, 07:13 AM
nope, there is, use <noscript>:

<script>
document.write('BLAHDIADKAJDKSHDIUHSDKSNLDK');
</script>
<noscript>
BLAHDIADKAJDKSHDIUHSDKSNLDK
</noscript>

cr3ative
12-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes, but that doesn't make the script work - there's nowt we can do about that.