PDA

View Full Version : Problem Running RSS Display Box Demo

redpis
01-05-2014, 06:19 PM
1) Script Title: RSS Display Box

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm

3) Describe problem: When trying to open the downloaded demo version of RSS Display Box using www.chatteris.biz/demo.htm the boxes breifly display 'initialization RSS display Box' and nothing else.

I have unzipped the file which has created two directories, rssbox and simplepie, I have checked the cache is set to 777 and I have ran the simplepie compatability test which it passed.

Any help you gan offer would be gratefully received.

Regards

Ian

jscheuer1
01-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Depending upon which version of PHP you are using, and its settings, the main.php, outbody.php, and even the simplepie.inc files might need updating. Try this updated version (right click and 'Save As'):

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/rss_box_sp_1_2.zip

Almost everything has been changed, so for best results, please start over.

redpis
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi John,

I certainly wasn't expecting a reply so quickly, yet alone on a Sunday, so many thanks for that, the downside is that the same problem exists, I did start from scratch as suggested.

Are their any setting you would suggest I check?

Thanks

Ian

--
Moderator's note: this post was caught by our automatic spam filter (for some irrelevant reason), but I've approved it now.

redpis
01-05-2014, 08:04 PM
John,

The attached is the screen dump after the compatibility test if it may help.

Regards

Ian

ajfmrf
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
What exactly is the results when you try the script?

Is it say anything or just a blank screen/page????

redpis
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi Bud,

The screen displays empty boxes, also the drop down lists and page selections or the various feeds are missing when compared with the demo version, when refreshing the screen, these momentarily appear, as does the statement regarding initialisation within the display boxes.

I've attached a screen grab of what I see, this can observed at www.chatteris.biz/demo.htm

Many thanks for helping

Ian

ajfmrf
01-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Hi Ian,we can not view your files so we can not see if there is afix that can be applied.(we can't source files .php)

But I did download the zip file John posted and it works great.

Maybe you can download it,confirm it works as is,then change the rss files and see if it works with your files.It may be a simple redo with the new files updated as John provided

jscheuer1
01-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm looking at the live files. It doesn't appear that you've updated them.

redpis
01-06-2014, 07:25 AM
John, Bud,

It was my inexperiance that caused the problem, the rssbox directory folder had permission 'xxx' I changed this to 755 previously, I should have simply left it alone.

Many, many thanks for your help

Ian