PDA

View Full Version : where to put my files?

raulnunez
11-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello---I need to know where I have to put all my files(html,gif,jpeg,etc.).Im making my page with HTML-KIT ,but Im not sure how and where to put them(...in My Documents or elsewhere?)...some help please...Thanks..Raul. :confused:

cr3ative
11-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Is this a question about how to get your site onto the internet?
Elaborate.

cr3ative

raulnunez
11-19-2004, 12:39 AM
...hello....Yes,is about that;where I have to save my web pages files.Im making the pages in AceHTML,so do I have to save the files in My Documents?.......Thanks to YOU..........Raul.

raulnunez
11-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Hello?----somebody helpme : where I save my files(html,gif,jpeg,etc);in My Documents or where.This is about my web site. Thanks........Raul.

Odin
11-19-2004, 07:58 PM
You need to upload your files to a web server, so that other people can access them. To do this you'll need to register with a web host. There are many free hosts which will help you start out, and these will generally put an advertisement on your pages in return.
Some reliable hosts you might want to check out are:
http://geocities.yahoo.com
http://www.tripod.lycos.com (You can change to .co.uk to find UK based Tripod, etc)

When you sign up you'll get access to a File Uploader or WebFTP which you can use to upload your files (you can also download an FTP client if they allow it, but you'll probably want to get used to WebFTP first). Then you will be able to view your website by using the address they give you, eg: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~raulnunez/

raulnunez
11-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I want to say thanks for all this help that You are giving to me,I think that Im not be really clear;sorry,Im cuban (my english is not to good):^)
I make my web page in my computer,in a program called:(AceHTML),and in my computer I need to save this files(right?),ok;that's my question: WHERE in my computer?. I have the choices to save in the same program or in My Documents. Where do You think is better?
Thanks 2 much again,Im a little confuse: I have to make a folder inside My Documents where I put all my web page files?...A friend.......Raul.

cr3ative
11-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Meh, you can save it anywhere offline, it doesn't matter.
Online, see Odin's post.

cr3ative

Reashlin
11-27-2004, 04:43 PM
i would make things easier if you save the files in your documents. make a seperate folder to see what files to upload when you come to do that. it has no real difference where you put them other than ease of knowing where they are at a later date

GavinPearce
12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Yea, I have various websites, and this computer is pretty much dedicated to making them. I have two harddrives, one for all system information and programs, (C:\) and one for storing information (D:\). In D I normally just have D:\WebsiteName and all the files go into there. D:\ is also the location of my desktop, so anything in there is also shown on my desktop.

I'm making it confusing I know sorry.

darco9x2
12-30-2004, 11:45 PM
you know you could just use a notepad document right? you dont need to buy stuff for html.. at least not to start it, maybe java or something to get the codes or to learn.