PDA

View Full Version : Google

MIL
02-05-2006, 04:17 PM
About half a year ago, I added my url "www.tegenspraak.be" to google. I believe that it isn't even necessary. Anyway, now I still don't see my website listed when I search for "tegenspraak".
I think I may have made a mistake in my script (see below). Anybody any ideas?

Thank you very much,

MiL

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>

<meta name="keywords" content="tegenspraak, jurididsche uitgaven, tegenspraak-cahier, tegenspraak cahier"/>
<meta name="description" content="Informatie over Tegenspraak, een vereniging die cahiers uitgeeft over actuele juridische en maatschappelijke thema's."/>
<meta name="language" content="Be" />
<meta name="subject" content="Tegenspraak" />
<meta name="title" content="tegenspraak" />

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"/>
<title> Tegenspraak home </title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/tegenspraak.css">

</head>

Twey
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Google doesn't even search the <meta> tags any more; it looks through the page content instead.

MIL
02-06-2006, 11:01 AM
If that's so, how does google know what text to display below the link?

Twey
02-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I said it doesn't search the meta tags; they're still used when deciding what to display, if they exist. A page without them will get no higher a rank than a page with them; appropriate text from the page content will be used instead of the description. This is, arguably, a better idea, as it allows the searcher more of an idea of the content of the page as related to his/her search terms.

MIL
02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Ok, sorry!

But of course it doesn't really solve my problem, are you shure my meta tags are correct?

Twey
02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, I don't read Flemish (?), so there could be some mistakes there, but your HTML syntax is correct.
You might want to put the content-type meta tag above the others.

ddadmin
02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I assume that that site is at least linked from a few places on the web? Obviously Google can't crawl a site that's completely isolated on the web.