PDA

View Full Version : DD's Smooth Navigational Menu ( v2.1 ) :: Can't get external file to load.

vgs.48067
10-08-2013, 12:22 AM
1) Script Title :: Smooth Navigational Menu (v2.1)

2) Script URL :: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem ::
First off, I want to thank DD for this script. It's slick, clean, and easy to understand...that it...until I get to the external file containing the data. With anticipated ( and multitude of ) changes to the menu on the eventual website, I really like the idea of one external file for periodic updating site-wide. ( That was another reason for choosing this script. )

Secondly, you should be warned that I am NOT a programmer of any merit. So, your indulgence with my strange questions and lack of knowledge is appreciated.

And finally, I do not have a url to point you to the working-problem as I am only just putting together templates for the site at this time.

Here's my quandary....
I have to be missing something when it comes to the instructions for creating and recalling the external file to call the menu. ( Actually, I know I'm missing something because, as I said before, I'm not a programmer of any kind. )

See section titled ( nearest the page bottom )
Putting the Menu contents in an external file and fetched using Ajax
My external file - with the menu items/links - is called navi.htm and resides in the same folder as all the other required files ( css, js ). Yet, when I edit the ( head ) ddsmoothmenu.init contentsource I cannot get the external file to load.

The div created on the template page is called "smoothmenucontainer".
The external file is navi.htm

Would someone be good enough to ( s l o w l y ) walk me through the process?
I know I'm not giving you enough information, but rest assured that I am monitoring this post closely, and will respond as quickly as possible.

TIA
vgs

ajfmrf
10-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

This will help get your answers more quickly.

vgs.48067
10-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Bud,
Thank you for your reply. As I stated in my message, I do not have a site to point to at this time. I'm only building the page template locally.

BUT!
I did find the information that I was looking for on another post, and I no longer need assistance. ( It WAS my stupidity. ) And, it seems that the script is working just as I had hoped.

But again...thank you for trying to assist.
vgs