PDA

View Full Version : Jim's Menu - v5.7 - "Flashing" menu links

kergilliack
11-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi there,

Even though I'm pretty new to this, very easy to include this menu script in web pages, but seem to exhibit some strange flashing properties when you run them, particularly when you use sub-menus.

Please see the attached links :-

www.leacottage.com
(a test for the next one, with no sub-menus)

www.leacottage.com/budock
(this is the start of the website I am actually trying to put together. You will see that the menus flash as they refresh, as you move up and down them)

Is there any way of preventing this ?

cr3ative
11-17-2004, 08:27 AM
404... eh?

cr3ative

kergilliack
11-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical - Ask for a bit or help, only to find web server down as well.

It appears to be up and running again now (I'm waiting for an explanation from the hosting company, but it's the 1st time it's been down in nearly 3 months).

Thanks for looking at the links, Creative. I see that the "budock" web page is reloading loads of items (really slowly as well) as you go up and down the navigation bar. This must be the problem, so it'll probably be something simple that's causing it.

Having paged up and down them, they response seems to have now completely stopped on the webpage, and, yes, it's unavailable again on my web host. Is this something that my javascript could be causing ?

5 minutes later, and the webpage is available again. Won't try anything more myself, and hope that my hosting remains OK so you can have another look.

Look forward to your reply, and thanks.

cr3ative
11-17-2004, 10:05 AM
I can't really see the flickering.. is there anything I can do to make it flicker?

cr3ative

kergilliack
11-17-2004, 10:51 AM
I think it's probably the Budock one that I first thought to be running slowly, then looked back at the other one, and thought I could see a similar problem.

I've done very little with the Budock site yet, but if you move up and down the buttons and in and out of the menu levels, it does get very slow to refresh them (that's probably the flickering).

If you press any of the buttons apart from "Contact Us" at the top and bottom of the screen it takes you to another page called "nowhere.html", where I was experimenting with another java script that gave you a vertically scrolling news window. I thibk I noticed the flickering on this one first, and perhaps I've got a little hung up on a (sort of) general slowness of refresh after this.

I was going to include this second javascript on my index page, to scroll a "latest news" item.

Have a look at that page, and tell me your opinion on whether the scrolling section is "fighting" with the screen refresh on "nowhere.html".

Thanks very much.

kergilliack
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Internet Options - Settings - Check for new versions of the page - Was set to "Every time you Visit", and changed to "Automatic" - Problem resolved.

Normally the case, start "talking to someone else about something" and then solve it yourself - Gets you out of the rut of making the same assumptions every time - Morale - Think outside the box.

Thanks for your help, Creative.