PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Ajax Content refresh intervals?

jeff
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Script: Dynamic Ajax Content
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ajaxcontent.htm

Here's the scenario:
I have a page that loads a band's setlist live as it is played. Currently I have index.php that has a php include to bring in the setlist onto my index.php page. The index.php reloads with a javascript page reloader every 60 seconds to update the current setlist. This works great, but of course I've noticed how cool it would be to reload only the setlist with AJAX so that the whole screen doesn't reload, only the setlist would reload.

I have successfully implemented this script to get the setlist on my index.php when the page loads, but I still don't have an AJAX way to reload the setlist without reloading the whole window. How can I make this AJAX function reload the setlist every 60 seconds? Basically I just need a 60 second reload timer on this AJAX script but my javascript is lacking skill I'm not sure how to do it.

I have included the script that I use to reload the page here. It displays a count down from 60 until the page refreshes. If possible I was thinking instead of the script doing a window.location.reload(), it could simply reload my Dynamic AJAX Content script, but how?
Here it is:

<script language="JavaScript">
var countDownInterval=60;
var countDownTime=countDownInterval+1;
function countDown(){
countDownTime--;
if (countDownTime <=0){
countDownTime=countDownInterval;
clearTimeout(counter)
window.location.reload()
return
}
if (document.all) //if IE 4+
document.all.countDownText.innerText = countDownTime+" ";
else if (document.getElementById) //else if NS6+
document.getElementById("countDownText").innerHTML=countDownTime+" "
else if (document.layers){ //CHANGE TEXT BELOW TO YOUR OWN
document.c_reload.document.c_reload2.document.write('Next reload is in <b id="countDownText">'+countDownTime+' </b> seconds')
document.c_reload.document.c_reload2.document.close()
}
counter=setTimeout("countDown()", 1000);
}

function startit(){
if (document.all||document.getElementById) //CHANGE TEXT BELOW TO YOUR OWN
document.write('Next reload is in <b id="countDownText">'+countDownTime+' </b> seconds')
countDown()
}

if (document.all||document.getElementById)
startit()
else
window.onload=startit

</script>

Thanks for anyone's help,
Jeff