PDA

View Full Version : Help with Conveyer Belt Slide show

PapasWorkshop
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
1) Script Title: Conveyor belt slideshow Script- Developer's View

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/leftrightslide.htm

3) Describe problem: I am using Expressions Web 3 SP 2 on Windows XP SP 3
I inserted the conveyer belt code and the images are stacked vertically rather than horizontally.
There also seems to be no control of the height and width of the conveyor belt
in the code
<script language="JavaScript1.2"> , script has a note: all script tags must have a type attribute

<ilayer width=&{sliderwidth}; height=&{sliderheight}; name="ns_slider01" visibility=hide>
<ilayer has a note: In XHTML 1.0 Transitional the tag <ilayer> is not permitted
<layer name="ns_slider02" onMouseover="slidespeed=0;" onMouseout="slidespeed=copyspeed"></layer>
<layer has a note: In XHTML 1.0 Transitional the tag <layer> is not permitted

Beverleyh
07-30-2013, 07:26 PM
You seem to be linking to an obsolete script page - I think this is the correct script: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/leftrightslide.htm

Using that would fix the "all script tags must have a type attribute" note. It might also fix the stacking images issue.

However, as you've discovered, some WYSIWYG web builders attempt to auto-correct code, which can be a good thing for less experienced developers or those who don't like to work in a plain text editor, but they can be a little too robust with how much they 'interfere' with things. They may change parts of code automatically or flat out refuse to let you insert something that it deems 'non compliant'. This can be a complete pain and why I highly recommend moving to something less restrictive, or learning HTML/CSS so you no longer need to rely on a WYSIWYG web builder.

I would say that your software is probably reporting an invalid tag - the script is from 2004 afterall and the layer tag is now deprecated (it was for Netscape browsers back in the day) - but at least in a plain text editor, YOU decide what to include and what not to include, and even when a tag is invalid, it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work or that it will totally break the page - newer browsers usually compensate - just viewing the script demo page in IE10 (or whatever) is proof of that. In a plain text editor you can use an old or invalid tag at your own discretion.

If you really want to use the script I would suggest doing everything you need to do in your software without the script, and then save the web page locally. After that, open the web page in a plain text editor, such as Notepad, and then paste in the code where you want it to appear, according to the script demo page instructions. Then upload it and see how it looks.