PDA

View Full Version : Issue with newer OS/ browser?

prezedit
07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
1) Script Title: :: All Levels Navigational Menu (v3.03)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I've been checking my sites html files before uploading them to the host for actual "live" display. I created the site, including the drop down menu code from Dynamic Drive on a computer running Windows XP and using I. E. 8 (version 8.0.6001.18702IC) and Google Chrome 27.0.1453.110m. That computer, however was dying a slow death, so before it can crash completely I bought a new machine that is now running Windows 8 with I.E. 10.0.7 and Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72M. On the Windows 8 machine suddenly my drop down menus don't work correctly in either IE 10 or the new Chrome ... some of them work without issue while others seem to have a mind of their own. For example, hovering over the tab with the icon for a drop down menu I see the correct list of the drop downs. I mouse over one of those listed in down drop down I get the correct submenu ... The tab Waterfalls with the drop down list showing Waterfalls Page 1, Waterfalls Page 2, Waterfalls Page 3. Hovering my cursor over Waterfalls Page 1 give me the appropriate submenu items. Yet when I move the cursor to any other part of the page then go back to the waterfalls tab instead of getting the list Waterfalls Page 1, 2 and 3 list I get the submenu for page 3. After being unable to figure out what was causing my errors I took the files and tried them on the XP machine and verified my recollections ... the menus function correctly in XP and IE 8 and the older version of Chrome. I have no clue how to adjust for this/correct it. Thanks.

Beverleyh
07-28-2013, 08:06 PM
As far as I'm aware (from my own sites and the DD demo page) this menu works well on IE10 and the latest (and previous) version of Chrome.

There might be other things on your page that is causing a conflict - maybe incorrectly formatted HTML lists or small js errors which some browsers are auto-correcting? - please post a link so we can check it out.

jscheuer1
07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Another thing to check is the demo page on Dynamic Drive:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm

If that works OK on your new computer with your new browsers, then it probably is something like Beverly is saying.

If on the other hand there is a problem even on the Dynamic Drive demo page, then it's either settings on your computer and/or browsers, and/or perhaps even a bug in the script.

If that demo page is no good, try this one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htm

It's a similar menu that should act better if the other one is giving you a problem. But don't even bother with it if the DD demo page for All Levels works on the new computer.

If the demo page for All Levels on DD is OK, as Beverly says, it's probably your markup and/or a javascript syntax error and we would need to see your page to be of more help.

molendijk
07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
The All Levels Navigational Menu and Windows 8 don' t seem to go together well.
I tried the demo page, and found that the menu is giving problems (with Windows8 + IE9 on my machine). There are too much down-arrows in the horizontal main menu, and submenus sometimes just vanish on mouseover.

prezedit
07-28-2013, 10:14 PM
The demo page worked without any issue. I ran my file through the W3C markup validation and it flagged a repeated error "Doesn't allow ul here; assume missing li tag". So I took a hard look at the demo page code vs. mine and I found a misplaced </li> tag. Correctly placing that fixed the problem. Everything seems to work now. I guess IE 10 is more sensitive than XP was. Thanks.

jscheuer1
07-29-2013, 12:41 AM
The All Levels Navigational Menu and Windows 8 don' t seem to go together well.
I tried the demo page, and found that the menu is giving problems (with Windows8 + IE9 on my machine). There are too much down-arrows in the horizontal main menu, and submenus sometimes just vanish on mouseover.

Win 7 with IE 10 in IE 10 mode or IE 9 mode I get the same thing. But . . .

The demo page worked without any issue. I ran my file through the W3C markup validation and it flagged a repeated error "Doesn't allow ul here; assume missing li tag". So I took a hard look at the demo page code vs. mine and I found a misplaced </li> tag. Correctly placing that fixed the problem. Everything seems to work now. I guess IE 10 is more sensitive than XP was. Thanks.

I think that's the issue on the demo page as well, only there it has two extra </a> tags (one in each of the demo menus and affecting only the first demo menu severely, but the second one is affected at the third level on one fly out). Apparently the newer IE browsers are more sensitive to this sort of thing than the older ones (which, along with most other modern browsers, error correct HTML before it's parsed by the script in cases like that). I recently had another person - using the Smooth Navigational Menu, who had problems only in IE 9+. There they had two extra closing </li> tags. Once those were removed, everything was fine there too.

Oh, and if you click on the links on the demo page for:

demo.htm (view (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/demo.htm))
demo2.htm (view (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/demo2.htm))

Those menus do not have the markup problems and work fine in IE 9+

prezedit
07-29-2013, 01:44 AM
One error fixed only to suffer the same problem (intermittently) Arie described - the menus disappearing onmouse over.

jscheuer1
07-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Please link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

prezedit
08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Please link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

I haven't uploaded anything to the sever yet. I'm in the process of checking things before I "go live". Is there a way to upload the page file, plus the CSS and the script files? - Janet

jscheuer1
08-04-2013, 05:50 PM
You could do that on the server in a temp folder and give us a link to it. Or you could use the advanced editor to attach a .zip of them.

To use the advanced editor, look at the bottom left of the current editor, click "Go Advanced", once there you will see many more icons above the editor than before. Find the one that looks like a page with a paper clip next to it. That's the attachment button.

Or you could upload your .zip file to the server and give us a link to it so we can download it.

It's probably just the markup though, try validating it. If that doesn't fix it, we would need to see the files, preferably live.