PDA

View Full Version : works locally but not online ?

ripthorn
02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
1) Script Title: Shockwave 3D slideshow v0.9

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/shockwave/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

Using the above script in a page in dreamweaver. If i view the page locally it works but with it uploaded to

synergypersonnelservices.co.uk/

with the page and the supporting js directory and images uploaded, it doesn't show the slides ?

I can see the code within the source and i've also 'hardcoded' the java script locations, but nothing shows, any ideas what i've missed :confused:

Thanks

jscheuer1
02-17-2013, 04:34 AM
Upper and lower case in paths and filenames are usually ignored on the local machine. On most servers they are critical. As a result, all three of the images are 404 Not Found. There are no images with these filenames:

images/cons.jpg
images/ind.jpg
images/rec.jpg

There are images with these:

images/Cons.jpg
images/Ind.jpg
images/Rec.jpg

Either rename the the files on the server to all lower case, or change their names in the code to reflect the actual case of the files on the server.

The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.

Beverleyh
02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Just expanding on what John said about local machine vs server case sensitivity -

Youre probably using a windows computer, right? Windows is not case sensitive so that's why the capitols/lowercase mix-ups don't matter.

A web host will either be running a Windows environment or a UNIX environment, so if you move your website from a Windows home/local computer to a Windows server, the letter case isn't an issue. It IS however with UNIX servers, so you need to get your capitols and lowercase letters matching exactly otherwise paths won't be recognised.

Its probably easier to find more lower priced web hosting plans running in a UNIX environment simply because UNIX is a free operating system, while Windows isn't, so its a good habit to get into matching your letter case just to make things easier when you upload your website online.

ripthorn
02-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Thank you both :cool: it's working now ! you guys are the best ;)