PDA

View Full Version : AnyLink Drop Down Menu suddenly not functioning!?

boots_e
01-24-2006, 02:24 AM
AnyLink Drop Down Menu (Vertical)
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

I'm presently building a site with many categories and sub-categories and found the "on click" vertical drop menu the perfect one for my needs... I've placed the menu on a page of it's own to be called into an iframe (enabling me to change the menu, if need be, easily on that one page only). It's been working perfectly for days but suddenly yesterday the on-click no longer presents the sub-list but brings up a "page not found" within the iframe. I couldn't for the likes of me figure out what changed, etc. so went to the script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm) only to discover that it's not showing the sub-cats (when I click the link) there either... just a new page with "Dynamic Drive site error. Please Email Us with a description of the circumstances that brought about this page, and we'll try and fix the problem."

Now, I went to my laptop and had a look and it was working as it should, so I'm thinking something is amiss on my pc??? Any ideas as to what is happening and how to correct this?? I haven't changed my browser (IE6) or anything else. I had previously checked the working menu in Netscape and IE before it went ascrew and all was well.

If you might know what is the cause for this on my PC only, please help.

Thanks!

ddadmin
01-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I reckon you're talking about displaying the drop down menu only via onClick, as in the 3rd demo on the script page? Nothing has changed, and the code for that remains:

<a href="default2.htm" onClick="return dropdownmenu(this, event, menu2, '200px')" onMouseout="delayhidemenu()">News Sites</a> (onclick)

Perhaps check that your browser still has JavaScript enabled?

boots_e
01-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes, that's what puzzles me... I've checked and my browser has JavaScript enabled.. I've gone back to the AnyLink Drop Down menu (yes, the onclick one) and I'm still getting the same page??

Any other ideas as to what's wrong with my computer that it can't properly display it... it displays the 1st two (hover) menu samples (nonclick) perfectly!

This is driving me nuts! :eek:

ddadmin
01-24-2006, 02:40 PM
What browser are you using? Another possibilty is that you have some sort of plugin installed that prevents JavaScript from cancelling the default action of a link, which is required in this case to just cause the menu to drop down onclick, instead of navigating to another page.

boots_e
01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks.. I'm really appreciating your help and wisdom! :)

I'm using IE6.. as for plug-ins, what should I look for and where? It's got to be something recently added to this pc (altho I haven't added or downloaded anythingrecently) as it works when viewing with my laptop (also IE6) and when previewing it offline through "Hotdog" the editor I use.

boots_e
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Perhaps the best thing for me to do is reconstruct my menu using one of the 1st two dropmenu choices so my viewers (who also may have a simular thing going on) won't have to click on the link to see the dropdown list (then won't.. as me).

I'd still like to find how to fix this beforehand tho if anyone can help me in any way.

ddadmin
01-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Can you post the URL to the problem page on your site? At the very least I can see if the problem occurs for me in IE6 Win xp.

As far as "plugins" to look for, in IE, I'm not aware of any that would do this. For Firefox there are numerous extensions that may do something like this, for the sake of the user experience so to speak.