PDA

View Full Version : How to make a website thumbnail?

mblascog
01-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi,
I'd like to make thumbnails of a list of links, like Google Chrome when shows the last visited webs.
I've been looking for Google, but I haven't found it, perhaps I don't know exactly words to user.
Thanks

Beverleyh
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Maybe you should try to explain more. On face value, your description sounds like a simple combination of HTML and CSS to create a grid of floated thumbnail images. However, you've created this thread in the JavaScript forum and I'm not sure how that fits in with what you'd like to achieve. Please try to expand - as well as the visual look of a thumbnail grid, is there a particular behaviour or rendering method that would require the use of JavaScript? Where would the JavaScript fit in?

mblascog
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for you answer. My english is very bad, I don't want to do thumbnail images. Instead of displaying image I want to display the web of a link. Can you understand me? I want to do what some browsers do, like opera, firefox, google chrome. When you want to open a new page, appears thumbnails of the last webs visited.
I hope this image show you what I want to do.

Thanks

Beverleyh
01-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Do you mean like a list if recently viewed pages on your own website? Like on some shopping websites where it shows you the items that you last viewed?

mblascog
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Yes, I mean this more or less. But now I'm thinking that this is not a preview of the link, perhaps it's a screenshot, isn't it?

Beverleyh
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
A screenshot/product picture, that would ultimately link back to the page with the item details?

This sounds as though its more in the realm of php and databases. If you're storing your product info in a database already, you should be able to store the last viewed product ids in a session and then print them to the web page along with the corresponding picture.

Depending on your php/database experience, somebody here might be able to guide you further but depending on the complexity of the work involved, you might need to open a job request in the paid help forum.

Either way, I think you'll need to elaborate more on what you need, and how you're storing your data, for anyone to offer further advice.

mblascog
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Ok. Thanks. I'll study better what I really want, reading your post seems that what I want to do is difficult, and the only thing I'm looking for is a nice view to show some links in a web.

Beverleyh
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I think we may have crossed wires. I was fixating on a last-viewed page or product script, but after reading your last post, I now think you are refering to a script that auto-generates thumbnail image previews for web URLs?

This website appears to offer this as a free, hosted service: http://www.picoshot.com/

More here: http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/10-free-website-thumbnail-generation-services/

And a more recent list here: http://www.scriptplazza.com/20-free-online-website-thumbnails-generators/

Hope they help