PDA

View Full Version : help with Any Link JS Drop Down Menu v2.3 closes automatically on some computers

matthewo
01-06-2013, 06:09 PM
1) Script Title:

Any Link JS Drop Down Menu v2.3

2) Script URL (on DD):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

3) Describe problem:

well I have slightly customized the drop down menu, im using the 3rd one, but changed it for a photo instead of text. funny thing is it works just fine on my desktop with windows 8 64bit and latest Internet explorer, but my laptop doesn't works with the same version of internet explorer, but different OS, windows 7 64bit. also I have asked a few people to try the website and some say it works, and one person said it doesn't work, it closes automatically and you cannot pick a menu.

I have not modified the script other then a few changes in colors.

here is my website www.orselliphoto.com its the menu in the top left...

Beverleyh
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Are you asking us to give feedback on what browser/OS/device it works on? It appears to work fine on iPhone 4S running iOS6, although the drop down menu overlaps the home image once it switches from the menu image - is that intentional?

Please can you clarify the question and what it is specifically that you require help on.

matthewo
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
that's ok for it to overlap I guess. it really isn't ment to work on iphone, my iphone does the same thing, but it works well enough. man concern is the computers it just wont stay open on. obviously with most computers its a roll over image, but with iphone its a click image.

I guess my main problem is my laptop and other people who it doesn't work for, funny thing is on my laptop the example works fine on the DD page where I got the code from, but once I implement it on my site it doesn't work.

jscheuer1
01-08-2013, 03:38 AM
The problem is in part because of the frameset redirect. I'm on a laptop with Win 7 and IE 9. If I go to:

orselliphoto.com

It doesn't work. I can't get over the drop down because it disappears as soon as I move off of the trigger image.

But if I go to the actual page:

orseinv.com/orselliphoto/

It works fine.

I'm not really sure why. But the solution is obvious, don't use the frameset redirect.

When I have more time I might be able to figure out exactly why the redirect causes it to do that and perhaps even a way to fix it so that you can use the redirect. But again, as I say, the easiest way to fix it is to not use the redirect.

It looks like it's only a problem in IE and that it has something to do with the way the script detects the document ready state of the page, but I'm not certain yet.

BTW, the overlap Beverleyh was mentioning is a known issue with this script. If you add display: inline-block to the trigger link (not the image, the a tag), that fixes the overlap. Add to the stylesheet:

.menuanchorclass {display: inline-block;}

jscheuer1
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
OK, use this modified version of the script (right click and 'Save As'):

The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.

If that still doesn't fix it, leave it in place for me to check. It's the page in the frame and the script that must be purged from the cache. This doesn't always happen automatically where framesets are involved.