PDA

View Full Version : rssbox/outputbody.php function get_permalink()

tradenet
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
1) Script Title:

RSS Display Box

2) Script URL (on DD):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

After moving my website to php v5.3.3 I am getting:
PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get_permalink() on a non-object in /home/website/html/misc/rss/rssbox/outputbody.php on line 11

I've tried it with just the stock demo package and the same thing. Seems to be a php 5.3 syntax issue. Any ideas?

Beverleyh
12-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Does the "rssbox/cache/" folder definitely have read + write permissions? Double check that its set to either 777 or 755 and see if it makes a difference.

tradenet
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Does the "rssbox/cache/" folder definitely have read + write permissions? Double check that its set to either 777 or 755 and see if it makes a difference.

Yes the folder "rssbox/cache/" is set correctly to 777
As I said above trying to trouble shoot this with just the demo package.

Thanks

Beverleyh
12-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok just checking - regardless of whether you're using the demo pack straight out of the box or not, the cache folder will not have the correct permissions unless you set it to have them (or your web host creates new folders automatically with 777/755 permissions).

I'm not at a computer at the moment so I can't check at this side but once I am I'll have a play on a php5 server to see what happens for me.

tradenet
12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
OK thanks, I've had this package working fine for couple years on a php v 5.2 install, however once I moved to php v5.3.3 the package broke.

Ok just checking - regardless of whether you're using the demo pack straight out of the box or not, the cache folder will not have the correct permissions unless you set it to have them (or your web host creates new folders automatically with 777/755 permissions).

I'm not at a computer at the moment so I can't check at this side but once I am I'll have a play on a php5 server to see what happens for me.

Beverleyh
12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I've just tested on my web host running php 5.3.6 and it works fine - granted I tested it on an internally hosted xml file (I dont have TCP outbound connections enabled at present so I know the feeds from external news sites wont work until I ask my webhost to allow them). Sorry I couldnt be any more help. I dont have access to a server running 5.3.3 so I am unable to recreate the error.

tradenet
12-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Well that's just odd. I installed the same demo package in under a minute on a machine running php 5.2 and it works fine. But not with the machine running 5.3.3 ...grrr

Beverleyh
12-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Do you have the option to choose which version of php you run on your web hosts server? With mine, I have one account running php 4 (for old legacy websites) but there's an option to switch to php 5.3.6 or a beta php 6. Then on my main account I can switch between php 5.2.? and 5.3.6 - they leave out 5.3.3, maybe for good reason?

Maybe you could ask them to upgrade?

tradenet
12-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah well I'll have to look for a distro for Centos 6 then.

tradenet
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Funny thing I upgraded to php v 5.3.19 and same error! Something is very strange. And the other thing is the distribution or package the same you are using at:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm ??

I have moved over a lot of sites now and this is the only script so far giving me some grief.

Beverleyh
12-29-2012, 09:30 AM
is the distribution or package the same you are using at:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm ??I think that's a question for ddadmin.

All I can confirm is that I downloaded the zip provided and uploaded it as-is to my php 5.3.6 web host. The demo page loaded fine - well, the HTML and CSS parts - it didn't display the sample feeds but that's because I don't have outbound connections enabled, so I uploaded a generic XML newsfeed file to the server and pointed one of the script boxes to that and then it worked perfectly.

Like you suggested in one of your earlier posts, maybe there are differences in the way that php 5.3.3 handles objects that have been changed in the later 5.3.6 release?

BTW - did you see the compatibility test in the simplepie folder? Have you tried running that to see if everything else is compatible?

tradenet
12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
As I said I upgraded the machine to php v5.3.19 from php v5.3.3.
Yes I ran the compatibility test and everything checked out fine.