PDA

View Full Version : iPad won't keep the menu open in the switch content menu

qwikad.com
10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi guys!

On my site ( qwikad.com ) I have an accordion style switch content menu for several countries. If you click on a country it will open a menu with states/cities.

All browsers keep a selected country open as long as you don't switch to another country. But iPad closes a selected country if you click on a state/city within that country.

I am kind of guessing that it has something to do with the "persiststate" but I am not sure if it is.

Is there something different about the iPad's browser? And.. can anyone suggest a fix to this?

The original script is found here: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ddaccordion.htm

jscheuer1
10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
No you don't, at least not on the home page you linked to that I can see. If I missed it, please explain where it is.

Otherwise:

If you want more help, please include a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

qwikad.com
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
No you don't, at least not on the home page you linked to that I can see. If I missed it, please explain where it is.

Otherwise:

If you want more help, please include a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

If you go to qwikad.com it's on the righ-hand side of the site. Click on any country there. It does what it supposes to do in all browsers except iPad's. Are you saying you don't see the countries on the righ side of the site at all? What browser are you using? Thanks.

qwikad.com
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Or are you saying you're using an iPad and everything is working fine? You see I don't own an iPad myself, I went over to my friends and when I was checking the site out on his iPad, the accordion style menu kept closing the country back up if I clicked on any city within that country (just what I explained in the beginning of the thread). If it's working fine in yours - I am happy! Maybe something was messed up in his iPad's browser's settings.

jscheuer1
10-16-2012, 07:55 PM
I meant, with all that was going on with the page, I missed the script. I just didn't see it.

I don't have an iPad to test on. What I would suggest is using the defaultexpanded property instead of the persiststate. To do so, you would have to set the defaultexpanded differently on each page. This can be done server side and/or manually depending upon your site's setup.

But first make sure cookies are enabled on the iPad. The persiststate requires cookies enabled. Using the defaultexpanded, though perhaps a little more complicated, does not.

qwikad.com
10-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok, got it. I wonder if the cookies were disabled on his iPad. Because it does work just fine in Safari on my laptop.

I was thinking about changing to defaultexpanded, but I don't want to make one country to stand out over the other when visitors first visit it.

Thank you for your help!

jscheuer1
10-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Well, it looks like you have some kind of CMS. That probably could be used to have no defaultexpanded when you land on the home page and the appropriate defaultexpanded for each country's page.

bernie1227
10-17-2012, 02:24 AM
The browsing engine on safari for IOS is different than WebKit on safari on a mac. I have an iPad to test on, and it's not retracting when you choose a state.

qwikad.com
10-20-2012, 01:40 AM
The browsing engine on safari for IOS is different than WebKit on safari on a mac. I have an iPad to test on, and it's not retracting when you choose a state.

It should be doing the right thing now even on an iPad. I've decided to keep one country always open (as it was suggested) and thus the problem is solved. Thanks a lot. This is a great forum. Never used it before but will be coming back.