PDA

View Full Version : URL window

dulcimers
11-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I've noticed that the "most professional" websites have a signature icon in the browser url window at the top of the screen. If you hover over the icon it will say, "drag and drop this icon to create a link to this page." For instance, Right now I see a greenish "v" like icon in the url area on this page. I want to be able to add that feature with my own icon to my website. Can someone explain how?

Sharon Skaryd

ultramagna
11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Go to the following website and make your "favicon.ico" file and have it emailed to you and then place the file into the root of your website.

http://www.favicon.co.uk/

dulcimers
11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
It's a neat tool, but not quite what I was hoping for. It only works if a visitor bookmarks or adds your website to their favorite.

Here's how it was explained in their email: "'favicon.ico' is a file that is called when anybody bookmarks your website in Internet Explorer 5 or above, the web browser looks for the 'favicon.ico' file on the website that was just bookmarked and if it exists it is placed next to the bookmark on both the favourites menu and next to the address bar when the web site is visited. In order for this to happen you need to place the favicon.ico in all the directories of your website which you think people would bookmark."

Actually I'm looking for a procedure which will put it in the url/address bar but I want it to work on the first visit to the site.

So I'm still looking for the technique which will put it in the url/address bar on initial entry to the website and will also show up if the visitor uses Netscape.

Sharon Skaryd

ddadmin
11-16-2004, 04:13 AM
Actually, favicon is what you're looking for. In Netscape/ Firefox, the icon should appear the first time the user visits the site, while in IE, it will require the user first bookmarking the site before it appears.

Our FavIcon tool can create the icon out of any image for you, btw: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/