PDA

View Full Version : onMouseover question within Netscape v8.0.4

Tucsonan
01-15-2006, 09:54 PM
This code seems simple enough and it works with IE but not Netscape (v8.0.4). Any ideas?

<html>
<head>
<title>Test onMouseover</title>
</head>

<body>

<a href="#test" onMouseOver="window.status='Test'; return true;" onMouseout="window.status=' '; return true;" >Test window status bar change</a>

<a name="test"></a>

</body>
</html>

jscheuer1
01-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Beginning at least with v7.2 Netscape has had, as an option, the ability to prevent javascript from changing the status bar message. Are you sure your v8.0.4 browser doesn't have that set?

Tucsonan
01-16-2006, 05:17 PM
When I visit other sites I can see the status bar text change when hovering over links. For local files the option to enable status bar changes is enabled.

jscheuer1
01-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Now that you mention it, I've noticed some uneven behavior in that regard with NS8.0.4 in FF mode. It doesn't always get the status bar changes on what appear to be regular links. I think that may be a bug. I'm guessing but, I wouldn't be surprised to find that what I think are ordinary links, are in fact 'souped up' with onmouseover/onmouseout status events like your demo. I think that NS8.0.4 in FF mode will only alter the status if it is the href of the link and there is no javascript status command associated with the onmouseover event of the link. In IE mode, NS8.0.4 will do the status events.