PDA

View Full Version : How do "Disable right mouse click script" and similar scripts affect search engines?

feral_grrl
01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I have been going through some of the dynamic forums, and the information is just fabulous- many times answering questions I didn't know I had yet! What I haven't been able to find is any information on whether using any of the 'anti-copy' scripts can affect search engine placement.

Aside from my personal site, we have a "click & brick" computer company known as a "trusted source" to various gov't agencies, and we deal with various aspects of securing hard drives as well as miscellaneous other computer products. Our specialty, however has been search engine optimization- making our webpages really search engine friendly so we consistently come out on top in searches for whatever it is we've focused in on. We don't ever pay for placement, we don't use special software- our standings are based solely on the hard work of one man and his quest to make our web pages perfect for search engines.

Considering the majority of our business has been in dealing with commercial off-the-shelf hardware and software, there has never really been a need or desire to prevent anyone from stealing our images. There has been a concern with the possibility of stealing our code, though- and there are future applications where we'd like to keep image stealing to a minimum.

My question is, doe anyone know if these anti-copy scripts can affect how search engines see/rank your webpage? IE, does making something less available for copying somehow also make it less available to search engines?

I realize the search engines are all different and the criteria for how they rank spans a huge spectrum, and that what is true for some is the opposite in others, I just wondered if anyone had seen or noticed anything different in their placements after using scripts such as these.

I have started adding these scripts to my own personal website (which doesn't yet care a hoot about placement- it is still taking very baby steps)~ but I thought it would be a great boon to our business site, if workable. I've already suggested doing a separate page using the scripts to see how it fares against pages without~ but that could take weeks before we see any results...

Anyway, I certainly appreciate any information or suggestions anyone might have. Thanks again!!

Kimberly :cool:

Twey
01-15-2006, 04:32 PM
A search engine doesn't bother to render Javascript. It doesn't know or care whether that script it sees is an image rollover or a disable-right-click script. You needn't worry about your pagerank going down as a result.
Not that you should be using "no-right-click"-style scripts anyway.

feral_grrl
01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Twey,

Thanks for your quick response!

OK I know I'm displaying my ignorance here, but could you tell me why I shouldn't use these scripts? I've found a good amount of information on this site about how to create them, but I must've missed the posts about the cons of their usage...

Thanks again!

KImberly

Twey
01-16-2006, 06:37 PM
They're irritating; they interfere with the browser interface outside normal web page operation (something that should be avoided at all costs); and they're absolutely useless. With scripts like "no right click," you can't even apply the "but it makes it slightly harder" argument; it's just as easy to go View->Page Source as it is to right-click and view it, if not easier. Of course, the scripts that do make it slightly harder (such as "encrypt page source") also have more serious cons - making the page reliant upon Javascript, in this case.

JacobGreen
01-19-2006, 02:16 AM
A lot of people think these things are cute and "fun" but, to use a phrase from Twey's post, they are "absolutely useless" unless you are trying to prove a point with one of them. (Perhaps to show how absolutely useless they really are)

Oftentimes an individual will put so many of these types of scripts on a webpage that they interefere too much with the browser and this can be annoying as all get out. I would stay away from them if at all possible. Especially the "no right click". If someone wants to see the source they will.

forgetmenow
09-14-2008, 10:10 AM
<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Function Disabled!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
</script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--

//-->
</script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight; onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
}
MM_reloadPage(true);

function MM_findObj(n, d) { //v4.01
var p,i,x; if(!d) d=document; if((p=n.indexOf("?"))>0&&parent.frames.length) {
d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i<d.forms.length;i++) x=d.forms[i][n];
for(i=0;!x&&d.layers&&i<d.layers.length;i++) x=MM_findObj(n,d.layers[i].document);
if(!x && d.getElementById) x=d.getElementById(n); return x;
}

function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
}

function MM_swapImgRestore() { //v3.0
var i,x,a=document.MM_sr; for(i=0;a&&i<a.length&&(x=a[i])&&x.oSrc;i++) x.src=x.oSrc;
}

function MM_swapImage() { //v3.0
var i,j=0,x,a=MM_swapImage.arguments; document.MM_sr=new Array; for(i=0;i<(a.length-2);i+=3)
if ((x=MM_findObj(a[i]))!=null){document.MM_sr[j++]=x; if(!x.oSrc) x.oSrc=x.src; x.src=a[i+2];}
}
//-->
</script>

djr33
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Sorry, but there are a lot of things wrong with what you just posted.

1. Everything is, completely unrelated to W3C and whether or not you do something, copyrighted-- it's called intellectual property and the moment it leaves your fingers into your coding software, it's yours. Same, inherently, with any images and other content. Registering it and such can help prove that you created it, not someone else, but at a technical level all you need is proof that you created it, not some proof of "copyright." (It's still even technically copyrighted to you if you don't have proof you created it, though that may not hold up in court.)

2. Rarely are these scripts used for anything but blocking people from stealing stuff. Yes, they have several uses that aren't quite "worthless," but a discussion like this doesn't come up for that sort of thing. Usually, it's when a pseudo-program needs to replace the context menu. And it works... sometimes. But you can still steal images in those cases, regardless of what pops up when you right click the mouse. Just gotta do it another way.

3. Yes, people use these scripts to stop people from stealing "COPYRIGHTED" images-- that's why people use them. But no... they don't work. At all. Thieves/hackers/whoever don't mind a challenge, and they know more tricks than you have to stop them.

4. Within this context, the scripts ARE useless. That means without a use. And they are. There are some rare exceptions, but in those cases there is so much more going on and it has nothing to do with stealing stuff, that it's in a completely different situation than this question.

5. No. No. No. I would NEVER return to a site that closed my browser. I'd be infuriated. If I get bored while reading a page, I may highlight text, right click on stuff, or drag stuff around. It doesn't mean I'm stealing anything. And if you kick me out of my own browser for it, then I'll be very angry. And someone who might potentially steal images would just start having fun then and work harder to steal them.

Twey
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd be quite tempted to email them to the author.

djr33
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
With some fun modifications in MS Paint, I think. (Doesn't seem justified to user a higher end graphics program, and there's a certain style about paint that you just can't imitate. Hehe.)

magicyte
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
You probably think I'm an idiot for posting such a post :o. I guess I could be considered one, since I am but a minor and not even in Jr. High. (which I am quite proud of, being a programmer and all at my age :D (even though there are some eight-year olds that program in Java)) Just saying :).

@ Daniel w/ # 1

SWEET!! I never knew that what goes on the internet is copyrighted! Also, probably true it wouldn't hold up in court. W/ W3C, I probably should not have said ANYTHING about that.

@ Daniel w/ #2

@stealing image stuff, right after I posted it, I thought "Hey, can't hackers either buy or create software to download images ILLEGALLY?".

@ Daniel w/ #3

Ditto w/ #2 reply.

@ Daniel w/ #4

:o

@ Daniel w/ #5

Never really considered THAT second tid-bit of info... :o

Hey, uh, what do you say if we were to both DELETE these posts so that, ya know, I don't lose my rep?! Heh heh...

-magicyte

Twey
09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I would say 'what rep?' :p

magicyte
09-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey!! :p You're joking, right? :p Or are you...

-magicyte