PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade Show Redux

jscheuer1
01-13-2006, 03:09 AM
This thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24866#post24866) points out a possible problem with Safari 2.0 that I had originally thought might just be a matter of convenience for some 'obscure browser to be named later'.

It seems, at least for the OP, and their experience is backed up somewhat by information I found on the web, that -khtml-opacity isn't how Safari 2.0 does opacity but rather just generic opacity.

The script I modded up for the OP in that thread solves this problem by abandoning both -moz-opacity and -khtml-opacity in favor of, you guessed it, opacity - with a twist.

When I was putting this script through its paces when DD first upgraded it, I discovered that certain older IE versions will try to go down the plain opacity route when they cannot, unless it is also tested for like so:

if (obj.opacity && !obj.filters)

as shown in my modified code in that thread.

An even better solution might be to provide the generic opacity option followed by both the -moz-opacity and -khtml-opacity options but, with modern Mozilla liking generic opacity as well, I saw little point in doing so.

ddadmin
01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for that interesting new information. Coding for Mac/ Safari right now for me is like coding in the dark, since I don't have a Mac. Docs found on the web indicated -khtml-opacity and its support in Safari, so I took a leap of faith so to speak.

I'll have to revisit this issue in a few weeks when this script is possibly updated again. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just getting a Mac, although it'd do nothing but test run a few scripts, so it seems like a huge waste. My calculator probably has a harder life than that.