PDA

View Full Version : Mouseover Link Help

Bropoet
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I was wondaering if there is a script that will allow me to hide the link url when you mouse over the link.

When you mouse over a link I don't want it to show the url so you can't type it in to open it in a new window....

Thank you,
Bropoet

jscheuer1
01-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Who can do that anyway? By the time I type in the first few characters, I forget the rest. You have a photographic memory or something? Anyways, there is a method and it it can be done several ways. The method is to set the status, here is one way:

<a href="name_that_i_do_not_want_seen.htm" onmouseover="window.status='';return true;">Link Text</a>

However, onmousedown, most browsers will show the link, regardless of what you do and many browsers can be set to not allow you to control the status bar in this manner. Generally, at least these days, it is increasingly thought of as a security violation if you cannot see the link in the status before clicking on it. Because of this, probably all future browsers will at least have the option of not allowing the designer to take that away. Many folks just think it is obnoxious and may avoid your pages because of it.