PDA

View Full Version : Don't know 'how to' get it right . . .

RugbyRugby
07-04-2012, 02:38 AM
1) CODE TITLE: I think it's Marquee Script-�

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Dynamic Drive as far as I know

3) DESCRIPTION: Newsscroller

4) URL TO CODE: http://www.midwestrugby.org/08sevensseriesctdirectionsmapsandlodging.htm

or, ATTACHED BELOW (see #3 in guidelines below): I can't figure out where to go to get the instructions on 'how to' put the code in the page correctly, 'cause right now the page scrolls way to far to the right . . . any help will be greatly appreciated . . .

<p align="center"><tr>
<td>
<P
style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; TEXT-INDENT: 2px"><b><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt" face="High Speed">
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2>

/*
Cross browser Marquee script- � Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
For full source code, 100's more DHTML scripts, and Terms Of Use, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com
Credit MUST stay intact
*/

//Specify the newsscroller's width (in pixels)
var newsscrollerwidth=910 pixels
//Specify the newsscroller's height
var newsscrollerheight=58
//Specify the newsscroller's newsscroller speed (larger is faster 1-10)
var newsscrollerspeed=6
//configure background color:
var newsscrollerbgcolor="#000000"
//Pause newsscroller onMousever (0=no. 1=yes)?
var pauseit=1

//Specify the newsscroller's content (don't delete <nobr> tag)
//Keep all content on ONE line, and backslash any single quotations (ie: that\'s great):

var newsscrollercontent='<nobr><font class="newstitle"><font color="#FFFFFF"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt" face="High Speed"><b>The Iowa City Ducks Rugby Club proudly presents their Ducks 7s Rugby Tournament</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Rugby all day at the University of Iowa Rugby Grounds</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">The Magic Bus</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Join us</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Let the Good Times Roll</font></nobr>'

////NO NEED TO EDIT BELOW THIS LINE////////////
newsscrollerspeed=(document.all)? newsscrollerspeed : Math.max(1, newsscrollerspeed-1) //slow speed down by 1 for NS
var copyspeed=newsscrollerspeed
var pausespeed=(pauseit==0)? copyspeed: 0
var iedom=document.all||document.getElementById
if (iedom)
document.write('<span id="temp" style="visibility:hidden;position:absolute;top:-100;left:-4000">'+newsscrollercontent+'</span>')
var actualwidth=''
var cross_newsscroller, ns_newsscroller

function populate(){
if (iedom){
cross_newsscroller=document.getElementById? document.getElementById("ienewsscroller") : document.all.ienewsscroller
cross_newsscroller.style.left=newsscrollerwidth+4
cross_newsscroller.innerHTML=newsscrollercontent
actualwidth=document.all? cross_newsscroller.offsetWidth : document.getElementById("temp").offsetWidth
}
else if (document.layers){
ns_newsscroller=document.ns_newsscroller.document.ns_newsscroller2
ns_newsscroller.left=newsscrollerwidth+8
ns_newsscroller.document.write(newsscrollercontent)
ns_newsscroller.document.close()
actualwidth=ns_newsscroller.document.width
}
lefttime=setInterval("scrollnewsscroller()",20)
}
window.onload=populate

function scrollnewsscroller(){
if (iedom){
if (parseInt(cross_newsscroller.style.left)>(actualwidth*(-1)+8))
cross_newsscroller.style.left=parseInt(cross_newsscroller.style.left)-copyspeed
else
cross_newsscroller.style.left=newsscrollerwidth+8

}
if (ns_newsscroller.left>(actualwidth*(-1)+8))
ns_newsscroller.left-=copyspeed
else
ns_newsscroller.left=newsscrollerwidth+8
}
}

if (iedom||document.layers){
with (document){
document.write('<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><td>')
if (iedom){
write('<div style="position:relative;width:'+newsscrollerwidth+';height:'+newsscrollerheight+';overflow:hidden">')
write('<div style="position:absolute;width:'+newsscrollerwidth+';height:'+newsscrollerheight+';background-color:'+newsscrollerbgcolor+'" onMouseover="copyspeed=pausespeed" onMouseout="copyspeed=newsscrollerspeed">')
write('<div id="ienewsscroller" style="position:absolute;left:0;top:0"></div>')
write('</div></div>')
}
write('<ilayer width='+newsscrollerwidth+' height='+newsscrollerheight+' name="ns_newsscroller" bgColor='+newsscrollerbgcolor+'>')
write('<layer name="ns_newsscroller2" left=0 top=0 onMouseover="copyspeed=pausespeed" onMouseout="copyspeed=newsscrollerspeed"></layer>')
write('</ilayer>')
}
document.write('</td></table>')
}
}
</SCRIPT>
</NOBR></SPAN></P></td>
</tr>

Cheers,
Shawn

jscheuer1
07-04-2012, 03:30 AM
That's not an official Dynamic Drive script. But it looks like it was modified from one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee.htm

Anyways, get rid of this (from your page's source code):

<FONT
class=newstitle>
<SPAN id=temp
style="LEFT: -200px; VISIBILITY: hidden; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px"><NOBR>Benefit Auction</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Autographed Guitar from STYX</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Items from Local Sports Celebrities</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Live Music from Hyper fuzz</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Rugby all day at the University of Iowa</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;The Magic Bus</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Volleyball</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Bar Oympics and much more</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Join us</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;Let the Good Times Roll</A></NOBR></SPAN></P>

Change the highlighted as shown (add the red 0) in the script:

. . . rollerbgcolor="#000000"
//Pause newsscroller onMousever (0=no. 1=yes)?
var pauseit=1

//Specify the newsscroller's content (don't delete <nobr> tag)
//Keep all content on ONE line, and backslash any single quotations (ie: that\'s great):

var newsscrollercontent='<nobr><font class="newstitle"><font color="#FFFFFF"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 36pt" face="High Speed"><b>Benefit Auction</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Autographed Guitar from STYX</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Items from Local Sports Celebrities</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Live Music from Hyper fuzz</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Rugby all day at the University of Iowa</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">The Magic Bus</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Volleyball</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Bar Oympics and much more</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Join us</a>&nbsp; &nbsp; - &nbsp; &nbsp;<font color="#FFFFFF">Let the Good Times Roll</font></nobr>'

////NO NEED TO EDIT BELOW THIS LINE////////////
newsscrollerspeed=(document.all)? newsscrollerspeed : Math.max(1, newsscrollerspeed-1) //slow speed down by 1 for NS
var copyspeed=newsscrollerspeed
var pausespeed=(pauseit==0)? copyspeed: 0
var iedom=document.all||document.getElementById
if (iedom)
document.write('<span id="temp" style="visibility:hidden;position:absolute;top:-100;left:-40000">'+newsscrollercontent+'</span>')
var actualwidth=''
var cross_newsscroller, ns_new . . .

That's it!

RugbyRugby
07-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Thank you very much . . . not time left to work on it tonight, but I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked for me.

Have a great 4th of July.

Cheers,
Shawn

RugbyRugby
07-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Bernie - 1227:

You are correct, it is in a Table cell right now, http://www.midwestrugby.org/08sevensseriesctdirectionsmapsandlodging.htm. I've been playing 'round and discovered it works just fine IF I keep it out of a Table. If you've got a way to put the 'marquee' newsscroller in a Table, and/or cell please let me know. I will go in and change everything so that it is by itself IF there's no other way. I didn't know that 'cause I don't have much education in Java Script. The newsscroller is about a third of the way down the page, just below the 'Speakeasy' and the Fox 100.7 radio station banner. Was pulling my hair out until I put the newsscroll all by itself.

Thanks for pointing that information out, and I'll be changing it later today . . . it's already 2:05 AM and I need to hit the hey, as they say.

Cheers,
Shawn

jscheuer1
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Being in a table doesn't matter, as long as you make the changes as outlined in my previous post, it will be fine.

RugbyRugby
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
John:

Will do that later today to see if I 'get it'! Already made the changes to another page I'm working on for another Rugby 7s Tournament in the Midwest, and it came out GREAT. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Shawn