PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow problem in IE8

chromedome
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Fade-in slideshow
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

The script works fine on my site in Safari, IE9, Chrome and Firefox. However, I get the following error in IE8, and the images don't appear:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property '0': object is null or undefined
fadeslideshow.js, line 38 character 3

As this error doesn't occur with the DD example page, it must be something I've done. I should point out that I am a bumbling novice, most Java might as well be Chinese!

The link for the error on my site is: http://www.chrome-dome.co.uk/illustration.html

Any help gratefully received.

jscheuer1
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
According to strict rules there may be no comma after the last item in an array or property in an object. All browsers except IE 8 and less now error correct for this.

Get rid of the trailing comma (red) after the last imagearray entry (highlighted), scroll the code block to see it:

<script type="text/javascript">
var mygallery2=new fadeSlideShow({
wrapperid: "slideshow", //ID of blank DIV on page to house Slideshow
dimensions: [960, 485], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image
imagearray: [
["images/illust_1.jpg", "", "", "A selection of figure artworks."],
["images/illust_2.jpg", "", "", "Technical and realistic Illustrator artworks for secondary education."],
["images/illust_3.jpg", "", "", "A selection of incidental artworks."],
["images/illust_4.jpg", "", "", "A selection of explanatory and instructional images for educational books."],
["images/illust_5.jpg", "", "", "A selection of animal artworks for a variety of educational books."],
],
displaymode: {type:'manual', pause:2500, cycles:0, wraparound:false},
persist: false, //remember last viewed slide and recall within same session?
fadeduration: 500, //transition duration (milliseconds)
descreveal: "ondemand",
togglerid: "slideshowtoggler"
})

</script>

chromedome
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Thank you so much, John. That worked a treat.

And thanks for not pointing out that it had the instruction about the comma in the script - as plain as day!

Cheers

Matt

ssnaples
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also having an issue with fadeslideshow and IE9. The peekaboo caption does not appear centered in IE9 only. I am using the following css:

.descpanelfg {text-align: center;}

and descreveal: "peekaboo"

and ideas on this. It is working great in all other browsers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jscheuer1
06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Works for me in IE 9 on the demo page if I add .descpanelfg {text-align: center;} to the stylesheet.

If you want more help, please include a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.